Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MonkeySeaII

2018 267 SSX

14 posts in this topic

just saw this new model for 2018.  I prefer the styling of the previous 277 but the lines of this new one looks pretty similar to my old 256.  Very nice interior and features. 

Nice looking boat.  Lots of nice touches. Windlass, seating layout, dash and head design look to be fantastic.

A few items I'm so no enthused about:

- Simrad and Garmin glass cockpit; I personally like Garmin (a personal preference) but the older SSi design dash switches worked well for seeing at night. Not a fan of these new dash switches when using them in the dark.

- 3 piece vs 5 piece windshield had more eye candy and superior sight line IMHO

- Chaparral seems to have gone away from using proper large oval grab rails on top of the deck in the bow like the older 256 SSi, etc. used. Oval design fit so much nicer than the round tube shape used on these later models

- Cobalt look to the rear of the boat has some drawbacks...that rear transom area is just waiting to have gel coat fade issues form the sun and the rear cleats will give chaffing problems from a dock line going forward. See these 2 exact issues on Cobalt's ALL the time.

No design is perfect however and I'm sure Chaparral will do well with this one.

SSX-267-Run-04-18.jpg

Its nice but I also agree with Shepherd on the rear swim platform design  I prefer the full molded design like the old 256.

one other thing I noticed with the new models (267, 287SSX), no thru hull exhaust option!!!  I gotta have my noise!

I like the layout of the 267SSX.  And the windlass should be standard on all boats.  Who wants to get their hands dirty hoisting up an anchor?

Why did they move the molded swim platform up on the newer models?  Like the 257SSX in the link above?  My 2004 SSX sits right on the water.

If I had to guess, they moved the platform higher off the water to make the boat more "big water" friendly, ability to go offshore. Less chance of swamping at the stern with larger swells or waves.

I agree, that's a nice looking boat. I'd be curious to see how that center seat on the port side moves into the three different positions shown in the gallery. Sure seems to be a lot of the seat hanging unsupported in the middle configuration, but maybe it's not meant to be left there.

That boat does have a lot of  the Crownline or Cobalt look to it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.