jackbronson

best way to clean grungy swim platform

32 posts in this topic

So the big southeaster blew threw the northeast last weekend and left my '08 SSi swim platforms a wreck from the leaves and the airborne dirt (plus of course the rain).  About to have the boat wrapped for the long winter's nap.  Any suggestions on how best to get the platform clean? I've got good brushes to scrub with, just need the right solution or product suggestion.

Thanks!

platform.JPG

I've had good luck using a stiff nylon scrub brush with a touch of Simple Green. Don't let the Simple Green sit too long and wash thoroughly.

That looks like  Black Mold on the upper hatch edges. Maybe all of it is mold from organic sun tan lotions.  Black mold is tough to completely kill. can be done. But squashed on food for them brings it back. Does the inside deck have similar spots ?

Friend had a similar problem.  Traced to sewage not treated enough.

Walmart sells a product in the boating section called "deck cleaner". Apply directly from the bottle and scrub in with a car wash brush. That should work. If not use "hull cleaner".

Super Clean works great. Make sure you dilute it, if you don’t dilute it it will remove the wax, make sure you rinse it well. 

Thanks for the suggestions. Fortunately its not mold, it's just black dirt.

Walmart in this area doesn't carry much in the boat supplies department, however there is a West Marine in town, so I may try the Star Brite cleaner first.

I use Starbrite deck cleaner and it works great.

Another option is "Bar Keepers Friend". It will not scratch the gelcoat, and will lift most dirt and stains. Use a soft brush, followed by a rinse and wash with your favorite boat soap. 

brick

I'd start with  Simple Green or 409 and a strub brush, then move up to the stronger stuff. 

As others warned me over the years here on the forums ... SimpleGreen is too harsh for or chemically incompatible with the gelcoat. It is a great degreaser and cleaner but too "good" for gelcoat, especially the dark colored gelcoat which shows the undesired clouding shortly after application.

I was a great proponent of using SimpleGreen on fiberglass and gelcoat. It cleans really well, but strips deep all waxes and oils and leaves the surface dry. Looks to me that SimpleGreen also affects the gelcoat itself. I have stopped using it two seasons ago, no more clouding, and the waxing and buffing is easier now.

3 minutes ago, Richard W said:

As others warned me before over the years here on the forums ... SimpleGreen is too harsh for gelcoat. It is a great degreaser and cleaner but too "good" for gelcoat, especially the dark colored gelcoat which shows the undesired clouding shortly after application.

I was a great proponent of using SimpleGreen on fiberglass and gelcoat, it cleans really well, but strips deep all waxes and oils and leaves the surface dry. I have stopped using it two seasons ago, no more clouding, and the waxing and buffing is easier now.

Thank you. I'll remember that.

OK, so turns out I have a little issue with stains on my swim platform from leaves.  I sprayed down the platform with Star Brite Deck Cleaner, scrubbed it, let it sit a couple hours, sprayed some more and scrubbed some more, and got all the dirt off but stains from the leaves remained.  So, I hit it with West Marine oxalic acid per the instructions and scrubbed it and the stains remain.  This is disappointing.

Any other suggestions? Part of the problem is that the platform is textured, but even the smooth part has stains that haven't come off.

22.JPG

Try fiberglass stain remover.

i bet a few hours out in the sun will remove them.

jk

mixture of dawn dish soap and bleach with a brush.  let it sit and rinse.  Dawn dish soap is an often forgotten cleaner.  Another good cleaner is foam shaving cream.

Most marinas around here use muriatic acid to bottom clean. A diluted mixture is very effective for stains. And no scrubbing required.

Have always used Soft Scrub on stubborn swim platform stains. Not while boat is in the water of course.

Our swim platform looked  like yours' did (actually worse), Soft Scrub and 5 min. with a brush and looked

like new when I took the boat to storage last week. Been using Soft Scrub for 20 years. Best.

So I'm going to go the other way on this.  If it were me and I didn't have a big selection of chemicals on hand, (and even if i did) I would first pull out the box of baking soda, make a paste and work it in with a soft cloth.  From there, I would move up the scale with the suggestions.  I am continually amazed at what baking soda works good on.  

10 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

I am continually amazed at what baking soda works good on.  

Good one ... and often overlooked.

+1 On the Soft Scrub. Also, I wonder if The Works toilet bowl cleaner will work. I know those stains aren't the same as hull grime but you never know.....

I've used Meguiars High Gloss Polish #45 on stains (on white gel coat) and had good results. Applied with an RO buffer.

You should have quite a cocktail of cleaners if you follow all of these suggestions.

5 hours ago, west coaster said:

You should have quite a cocktail of cleaners if you follow all of these suggestions.

Ya think?! :lol:

I tried the baking soda this morning with a toothbrush.  Did very well, however I have a lot of stains to do and not a lot of time until the boat gets wrapped Thursday (and this pesky thing called a 'job' getting in the way of this project).  For one or two small stains the baking soda is probably good enough. So, I may try the Star Brite Fiberglass Stain Remover as it comes in a spray bottle and I can spray both platforms and then scrub like mad with a brush.  I'll report back with final results.