jackbronson

best way to clean grungy swim platform

32 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, jackbronson said:

Ya think?! :lol:

I tried the baking soda this morning with a toothbrush.  Did very well, however I have a lot of stains to do and not a lot of time until the boat gets wrapped Thursday (and this pesky thing called a 'job' getting in the way of this project).  For one or two small stains the baking soda is probably good enough. So, I may try the Star Brite Fiberglass Stain Remover as it comes in a spray bottle and I can spray both platforms and then scrub like mad with a brush.  I'll report back with final results.

Get a bigger brush???

brick

Baking soda and....MAGIC ERASER!!! Magic Erasers are AMAZING on boats. Be careful on how much you scrub with it because the abrasion from a ME can dull polish. But on a swim step who cares?

For real tough stains, I’ve used a ceramic stovetop cleaner called Cerama-Bryte. It appears to be very safe on fibreglass - and works great. 

Leaves ARE ...........FOOD .......for Black Mold.  DO  NOT  let the leaves lay on the decks.  Have them covered.  Remove them as soon as they land.

Piece of cake to maintain.  Wet leaves are DEADLY as stains leach out of them.

And we have a winner: Soft Scrub with Bleach, $2.99 at the local grocery store.  Stuff worked the nuts. I was stunned by how quickly and completely it removed the stains.

I did buy the Star Brite "Ultimate Fiberglass Stain Remover" and it did nothing on these particular stains.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Glad to here my suggestion worked for you as well as it has for me.

You can even get an off brand at dollar stores for less than what you paid,

It works just the same.

14 hours ago, jackbronson said:

And we have a winner: Soft Scrub with Bleach, $2.99 at the local grocery store.  Stuff worked the nuts. I was stunned by how quickly and completely it removed the stains.

I did buy the Star Brite "Ultimate Fiberglass Stain Remover" and it did nothing on these particular stains.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

great news, that stuff usually works great.  Like I said I have mixed soft scrub with dawn as well to make a paste, dawn is really good at getting oils out