AFDD

Corrosion issues 327ssx mercruiser

7 posts in this topic

Good morning.

I'm new here so please excuse my ignorance.

I'm currently negotiation to buy a 2012 - 327 SSX, the boat is fitted with twin mercruiser 8.2 DTS B3X stern drives.

The boat has lived in a sea pen all its life and never anti fouled, it has been outdoors in a relatively humid environment, the boat appears to be in very good condition and has done only 210 hours, I have been in dialogue with the broker who has confirmed service history including a recent service this includes water pumps for both engines.

A Chaparral dealer has warned of transom corrosion issues with the 8.2's on the 327, advising of connecting hose problems where the conections are cast to the transom plate and these corrode, particularly on boats kept in dry storage and used in salt water, apparently there is also an issue of Teflon seals being crushed by salt build up again causing over heating problems.

His advise is allow for this repair which is an engine out and expensive.

I guess my question to other 327 owners have you had these issues, is it a once off fix?

I've read many test reports which are highly favorable of these boats.

Are there any other issues I should be aware of as I'm buying a 5 year old boat, there are no warranties as you will imagine.

The boat is in Queensland Australia.

many thanks 

I think Wingnut & Shepherd  posted about a possible way to NOT removing the engine.  But it may have been in a SINGLE engine boat with enough room to work.

Get it surveyed, find out what are the costs to have the work done, and subtract if from your offer if you still want the boat.

My Dad use to say, buying a use car was, buying someone Else's head ache. All boats need constant care and attention, you just need to decide where you want to start your caring.  Good luck.  Denny.

What comes to mind for me, that is has never been bottom painted. I would check for blistering and moisture content of the hull.   

I propose to have a full survey plus have Mercury inspect the drive line.

The issue that's thrown me is the transom plate, the chaparral dealer has advised me that all the 327's he has seen suffer with corrosion where the hoses go through the transom plate with the only fix being engine removal, he also mentioned the Teflon seal but advised this can be rectified insitsu. With an estimated A$20k cost for engine removal & transom plate renewal I'm hoping to avoid this, or at very least price down my purchase.

is this routine, is a 5/10 year engine out normal - I'd hope not?

cheers 

Just in response to Iggy, good point, Mercury dealer was quite skeptical of boats in Sea pens which haven't been sealed, seems a clear epoxy is the aesthetic choice whereas a antifoul likely the better. 

Any issues with the Chapperal hulls wrt osmosis?

All a learning curve, seems Chapperal use a vinyl ester resin in the hull construction which reduces the likelihood of osmosis.

good thing!