Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brianbev

Removing props

10 posts in this topic

I have a 2006 290, with twin V6’s, Volvo Penta, dual props. I’m trying to remove props, but bent the handle on the Volvo nut tool trying to loosen outer nut. Is it by chance reverse threads ??

No, there normal threads. I would take a torch to it. Just for about 30 seconds, that will expand the prop a little.  

Try a socket (30mm) and a breaker bar. Might try a squirt of penetrating oil or a little heat. Be careful with the heat as you do not want to damage the rubber shaft seals up the prop shaft.

If you heat up the nuts you'll need to replace them. The heat will probably melt the locking rubber inside the nut. If they are that hard to remove I would replace the nuts anyway.

If you use heat it could lead to issues with the O rings on the drive.  Purchase a 30mm open end box wrench at Home Depot for $10.00.  That should give you the leverage needed ( it worked for me) .  

Who are the mechanical IDIOTS that OVER tighten the nuts ? 

STUPID  STUPID. I have NEVER   NEVER heard of ANY PROP UNWINDING a self-locking nut. Or even a lock washer & nut setup.  

STUPID  STUPID

Done by mechanics covered with long black hair that eat lots of bananas.

Pb blaster to the nut, and get yourself a wrench that's a foot or two long so you can some torque and or slide a pipe over the wrench.  Also with duo props I cant remember which way, but to take them off yo need the shifter either in reverse or forward and the opposite to put them back on.  2x4s can always help.

keep it in neutral and use wood to block the props - no need to put it in gear if you use the wood block

You Volvo guys ?  Buy a good sized / decent air or electric........  Impact driver. Money tight ?  Call some tire repair shops. 1 should unwind both nuts if you bring the boat over on a slow day. ............. Make sure you get the direction right !!  Offer Coffee & doughnuts or a Pizza when asking . Works almost every time. 10 seconds & both nuts are off.

NEVER  NEVER let anyone use a impact driver to tighten the nuts on.............. That is why yours are too tight.

Nobody is happy if the boat owners nuts are too tight.

You can buy a Volvo Penta puller on line.

I bought mine used for $75

I take off both props grease shafts and replace in less than an hour.

The wood block is essential, makes your life easier.

Cyclops...i think you may need a little tightening!