Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric Fritzeen

Manifolds and risers

20 posts in this topic

Hey friends.  I am a new owner of a 2006 256 SSI.  She has 150 hours.  Survey says she is due for manifolds and risers.  I have engaged the marina to service the outdrive and replace and upgrade the bellows.  Please recommend a vendor that may provide the parts I need for the manifold/riser and associates gaskets/bolts etc.  Side note, boat rides heavy, yes, I know it is a 5200 lb beast.  Hole shot was very good, no drag, straight out.  I am scared by the hull water issues I have heard about.  Any quick ways to know what's up?  Sorry, always blamed for saying too much.

a simple google search would provide you many options, ebay is another option.  You can get OEM parts or after market parts.  Ive used after markets before think the brand was GLM, half of the price of OEM and worked great.

Surveyors will look at age, and at times do not take into account where the boat is used and what material the risers are made from. My 2008 Merc has stainless steel dry joint risers and the upper Chesapeake is fresh water and both my manifolds and risers check as new. I would pull the old ones off during the off season and do a comprehensive inspection before I would buy new parts. You may be back to 100% with just some new gaskets and a coat of paint. In any event it cost nothing to find out.  W

Welcome to the group......:oregonian_winesmiley:

It all depends on if it was used in salt water or not. What engine set-up?

10 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

a simple google search would provide you many options, ebay is another option.  You can get OEM parts or after market parts.  Ive used after markets before think the brand was GLM, half of the price of OEM and worked great.

Thanks Soldier.  Yes I did that.  I looked at the brand you purchased.  Was hoping for confirmation that the aftermarket was a good match.  Thanks so much for your input.

10 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

9 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Surveyors will look at age, and at times do not take into account where the boat is used and what material the risers are made from. My 2008 Merc has stainless steel dry joint risers and the upper Chesapeake is fresh water and both my manifolds and risers check as new. I would pull the old ones off during the off season and do a comprehensive inspection before I would buy new parts. You may be back to 100% with just some new gaskets and a coat of paint. In any event it cost nothing to find out.  W

I do not know if I am responding correctly by pushing quote.  If not, please someone correct me.  Thanks Wingnut.  I absolutely will adhere to your advise.  I will not order till inspection.  Where do you find SS manifolds and risers?

9 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

what hull water issue are you referring to??

I read a forum somewhere that indicated Chaparral hulls can hold water internally.  I understand the list this boat may have, due to how the tanks are located.  But the surveyor said moisture was noticed with his moisture meter when he hit the inside, bottom of the hull surface.  I was hoping this is not a real issue.

9 hours ago, Toddler said:

Thanks for the welcome Toddler.  I have the Volvo Penta, 5.7, claims to be 320 hp., with Bravo 3 style outdrive.  

7 minutes ago, Eric Fritzeen said:

I read a forum somewhere that indicated Chaparral hulls can hold water internally.  I understand the list this boat may have, due to how the tanks are located.  But the surveyor said moisture was noticed with his moisture meter when he hit the inside, bottom of the hull surface.  I was hoping this is not a real issue.

That's false. Chaparral's show false positives.

10 hours ago, Toddler said:

I forgot to mention the boat has been run in salt, and lift stored.

I used Sierra manifolds and risers last year. Quality and fitment was just fine. 1/2 the cost.

5 minutes ago, t84a said:

I used Sierra manifolds and risers last year. Quality and fitment was just fine. 1/2 the cost.

Thank you t84a.   I will look them up.

More than likely you'll need to check them, split one side if you see any blockage order a new set.

13 hours ago, Eric Fritzeen said:

I do not know if I am responding correctly by pushing quote.  If not, please someone correct me.  Thanks Wingnut.  I absolutely will adhere to your advise.  I will not order till inspection.  Where do you find SS manifolds and risers?

Stainless manifolds? You either buy a Mercriuser, or look at aftermarket from suppliers like Gil Marine, but Gil's are intended for go fast boats are are really not practical for your chap and they target big block GM. Volvo did make stainless riser replacements for some of their diesels, but I'm not aware of any for the 5.7. Now that we know you have a Volvo 5.7 used in salt water, it's likely you will need to replace some parts. I've replaced a set a few years ago and the new ones were OEM Volvo, but they were supplied by the owner so I can't speak to price and availability but he got them on E-Bay. The challenge for me with Volvo is to identify the right parts as they are notorious for using different pieces on the same size engine within a given model year. Make sure you get the model and serial number off of your engine ID plate before you go shopping. Once you find the right part numbers, then perhaps even e-bay can help you out. New bolts with some never-seize on the threads will help in the re-installation process.  W

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/volvo-penta-exhaust

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Barr-Manifold-Exhaust-Kit-for-OMC-Volvo-Penta-V8-5-0-5-7L-with-4-Exhaust-Outlet-/192278277587

I found the best pricing from Lighthouse Marine for manifolds. In fact with the savings I went with OEM parts.  You can find them by doing a google search for Partman.

2 hours ago, Duane2135 said:

I found the best pricing from Lighthouse Marine for manifolds. In fact with the savings I went with OEM parts.  You can find them by doing a google search for Partman.

Thanks for the info.  Sounds good.

Volvo aftermarket parts are a bit harder to find than merc.

I used glm and one failed, take it with a grain of salt.

I used Barr also, I believe they make them for volvo.

also try marine parts express, shop around try iboats also.

Good luck!

Hello,

Volvo does use 3 different height risers from 2000 to 2013 ( non catalyst )

The three sizes are 7.8", 10.3" & 11.3" and in some applications they stack a 6" extension under a 7.8" riser for extra height.

Its a good practice to inspect for water trails running down the risers prior to leaving the dock.

Click the link below to determine your riser height.

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/volvo-penta-5-0-5-7-manifold-replacement-kit-genuine-volvo-penta-exhaust-manifold-3847501-in-stock-ready-to-ship/