Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeff Schaefer

Warranty

16 posts in this topic

I'm buying a new 2018 330 Signature with twin Volvo's. Chaparral is offering a 5yr warranty on engines and the components.

i'm curuious if they stand behind the product, or if something goes wrong do they question why it happened and don't want to repair it under the warranty. When I read the warranty they tell you A LOT of what's not covered.

9 hours ago, Jeff Schaefer said:

I'm buying a new 2018 330 Signature with twin Volvo's. Chaparral is offering a 5yr warranty on engines and the components.

i'm curuious if they stand behind the product, or if something goes wrong do they question why it happened and don't want to repair it under the warranty. When I read the warranty they tell you A LOT of what's not covered.

Extended warranties come in different flavors. Ones offered by the OEM of the power plant are best, but look beyond duration and see what it actually covers. Other coverage can come from a third party and they tend to offer very limited coverage and a ton of fine print. Chap can also step up and become the actual underwriter, but the rules remain the same. What's the duration, what does it cover, what is excluded, and what is the deductible if any. In the end these are insurance policies which pick up where the factory warranty ends and are purchased coverage. As with all policies you get what you pay for and in your case, you get what "they" were willing to pay for. W

Boats are made one at a time, with a lot of outsourced parts. Chap for the most part stands behind their product. Yes, there have been issues but for the most part the dealers and Chap do a good job.

Who is the warranty from? Chaparral? Volvo? Third Party?

Read the fine print and understand what is, and what is not covered. 

brick

Unfortunately I have had to use my extended warranty a few times this year.

The service from my vp dealer was great and they covered everything they were supposed too.

Do not confuse these with insurance, these are regulated as discounted service contracts, not insurance.

Who you buy it from is important.

If you are looking into a third party ask your repair shop if they except it.

I did not get it. Remember, it will not cover what they call wear items. You need look and see what items they are. In my case, my port engine's raw water pump bears were going bad. After one year, it would not be covered even with the extended warranty.  For me, I can replace it on my own so it was no big deal. 

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

I did not get it. Remember, it will not cover what they call wear items. You need look and see what items they are. In my case, my port engine's raw water pump bears were going bad. After one year, it would not be covered even with the extended warranty.  For me, I can replace it on my own so it was no big deal. 

if you look at extended plans on most anything they sell them praying off your emotions of a high dollar item and piece of mind.  its like man I just spent 60k adding 3k right now just makes sense.  In reality extended plans on most anything from a toaster to car piggy back off the original warranty, which could be one year or two years etc.  So you buy a 5 year extended, some start right away or most and very few actually start when the original warranty stops.  So your paying for double coverage.  Secondly these extended warranties usually only cover catastrophic failures or parts that yes are expensive at times but rarely fail.  Something like 70-80% of extended warranties never pay out a dime.

Over half of best buys profit is from warranties just one example.  If they met or exceeded the cost you paid for those warranties they wouldn't be making money or sell them.

Now it is a gamble and full disclosure I have bought into extended warranties and have used them, have I ever used them to the point of recouping my original cost or not even half, no.  Its a gamble for sure, a gamble the house usually wins.  Theres always that guy or knows a guy who had a 100k repair and it saved him, yup its happened, and it helps people sleep at night, sure I guess.  Best case scenario most people are just prepaying for maint repairs up front that they really cant accurately predict.

I used mine - for some weird fluke - both my upper and lower gears blew apart creating a catastrophic event.  if i didn't have the extended warranty,  the entire cost of :

1. Tow

2. pulling boat 

3. initial inspection

4. storage costs at a marina not my home port

5. new drive

6. disposal of old drive

7. installation

in full disclosure, the extended warranty did not cover:

1. entire storage cost. they gave a max / day  (not even close but better than zero)

2. new drive fluids

3. travel costs of mechanic - marina did not have an approved Volvo mech.  - 2 hr travel cost each way for me.

4. they provided similar to a doctor a pre-determined rate / hour and amount of time to do repairs.  i covered the balance

my total bill was just under 10k  - out of pocket for me was just over 1k 

For me, the extended warranty more than covered itself.  BOAT (Break out another thousand)  - costs add up quick for this hobby.

On extended warranty I had covered.

1Fuel pump

1 Coil

2 Water pumps

Seal in outdrive.

When I bought my boat in 2013, the 5 year warranty came at no extra charge.

It will bring you some piece of mind, is it worth the price?

Only you know that.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, delaney said:

I used mine - for some weird fluke - both my upper and lower gears blew apart creating a catastrophic event.  if i didn't have the extended warranty,  the entire cost of :

1. Tow

2. pulling boat 

3. initial inspection

4. storage costs at a marina not my home port

5. new drive

6. disposal of old drive

7. installation

in full disclosure, the extended warranty did not cover:

1. entire storage cost. they gave a max / day  (not even close but better than zero)

2. new drive fluids

3. travel costs of mechanic - marina did not have an approved Volvo mech.  - 2 hr travel cost each way for me.

4. they provided similar to a doctor a pre-determined rate / hour and amount of time to do repairs.  i covered the balance

my total bill was just under 10k  - out of pocket for me was just over 1k 

For me, the extended warranty more than covered itself.  BOAT (Break out another thousand)  - costs add up quick for this hobby.

see and that is my problem with extended warranties, they have deductibles, only certain rates they cover etc.  In your situation if you bring it to a certified dealer everything should be covered from start to finish including the fluid.  of course paying 1k instead of 10k is a lot better, but that's how they market it, it should be 0 bucks for you.  If you paid for that extended warranty up front say 4-5 grand, you add another grand to it that first fix cost your 5-6k, never use the warranty again you broke even, use the warranty a few times you win a little bit.  I would also say when you are determining cost, I could replace a whole drive for probably half to a third of 10k. 

well - the crate cost of the new drive from Volvo was 7k alone - the other costs amounted to the close to 3k.  if you have access to the tools and "other" than maybe but i doubt Volvo would just send you a new drive.  it took me about 2 weeks for their mechanic to diagnose  that the drive was a complete loss.  they will always attempt to repair first.  the mechanic had to send Volvo a complete parts needed list and hours to repair, etc.  The actual repair or install of the new drive was easy (2 hrs) of work.  the majority of the cost was in determining what happened and I also keep good records of regular drive fluid changes - believe me - Volvo was ok but they were fishing for ways to say it was caused by lack of maint.  

I agree that they should cover "more" but i also feel that the location of where my boat was stored took advantage as well.  In New Buffalo they charged me $150 to pull the boat and $150 to put it back in and a hefty fee to store it outside on blocks in a gravel parking lot because they could.  The mechanic that came down was great and is now my current mechanic as we moved the boat up to Michigan.  His hourly rate was higher than Volvo allowed but commensurate  w/ area i live in.  

33 minutes ago, delaney said:

well - the crate cost of the new drive from Volvo was 7k alone - the other costs amounted to the close to 3k.  if you have access to the tools and "other" than maybe but i doubt Volvo would just send you a new drive.  it took me about 2 weeks for their mechanic to diagnose  that the drive was a complete loss.  they will always attempt to repair first.  the mechanic had to send Volvo a complete parts needed list and hours to repair, etc.  The actual repair or install of the new drive was easy (2 hrs) of work.  the majority of the cost was in determining what happened and I also keep good records of regular drive fluid changes - believe me - Volvo was ok but they were fishing for ways to say it was caused by lack of maint.  

I agree that they should cover "more" but i also feel that the location of where my boat was stored took advantage as well.  In New Buffalo they charged me $150 to pull the boat and $150 to put it back in and a hefty fee to store it outside on blocks in a gravel parking lot because they could.  The mechanic that came down was great and is now my current mechanic as we moved the boat up to Michigan.  His hourly rate was higher than Volvo allowed but commensurate  w/ area i live in.  

I hear ya in your instance it worked out.  These plans are a lot like health insurance, up front and brochures they want to advertise this inclusive plan and only pay this amount up front and a few bucks in deductibles, not how it works.  And with an extended warranty you are getting new OEM parts most of the time, much like you got.  I just know if I were to blow a drive, reman ones probably cost half if not less than new, and its a 30mins to take on and off. 

Like I said not totally against some of these plans, but if you look at cost and weigh the gamble you can probably come to a better solution or at least acceptance.

I hear ya - for my issue boat was less than 2 years old.  would never want a rebuilt used drive as my boat ages i would consider it knowing the cost difference.  in the end these toys cost more than my first house so a bit of insurance wasnt going to break the bank - i am usually not a big fan of "extended warranties"  but i also broke even on my wife's Yukon.  U-joints and differential on a 4x4 had about the same result.  wish it never was used but glad i had it.  cost me about 2k but saved me that as well.  these high $$ cars and boats have so many little things that eventually go wrong - its probably the reason i drive a Hyundai for me:  100,000 mile warranty including normal oil services.  love the service.

10 minutes ago, delaney said:

I hear ya - for my issue boat was less than 2 years old.  would never want a rebuilt used drive as my boat ages i would consider it knowing the cost difference.  in the end these toys cost more than my first house so a bit of insurance wasnt going to break the bank - i am usually not a big fan of "extended warranties"  but i also broke even on my wife's Yukon.  U-joints and differential on a 4x4 had about the same result.  wish it never was used but glad i had it.  cost me about 2k but saved me that as well.  these high $$ cars and boats have so many little things that eventually go wrong - its probably the reason i drive a Hyundai for me:  100,000 mile warranty including normal oil services.  love the service.

nope right there with ya.  they sell you a 60-70k truck and say don't you want to protect it and give you piece of mind.  Cant fault people, its a big racket if you ask me.  that's why I keep them till warranty and dump them, I use that 3-5k I would have spend on an extended warranty and put it on the new one.