Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snlcorn

Yamaha 250 SHO oil

9 posts in this topic

I have a Yamaha 250 SHO outboard and I was wondering if anyone uses a brand besides Yamalube? I've read where Wingnut recommends Mobil 1 15w-50 for an inboard motor. Would this be sufficient for an outboard?

Thanks

Stacey 

9 hours ago, Snlcorn said:

I have a Yamaha 250 SHO outboard and I was wondering if anyone uses a brand besides Yamalube? I've read where Wingnut recommends Mobil 1 15w-50 for an inboard motor. Would this be sufficient for an outboard?

Thanks

Stacey 

IMHO Yamaha has not put much thought into their 4 cycle oil. What they offer is pretty generic and will do the job, but they charge a ton of money for an average lube oil. I have been using Mobil One 15w-50 in their 150's and 90's as friends here have both, but really never had a 250 in "our fleet" but I'm sure there are superior alternatives to the OEM oil as it is pretty rudimentary. I'll post again if I hear anything promising.  W

4 hours ago, Wingnut said:

IMHO Yamaha has not put much thought into their 4 cycle oil. What they offer is pretty generic and will do the job, but they charge a ton of money for an average lube oil. I have been using Mobil One 15w-50 in their 150's and 90's as friends here have both, but really never had a 250 in "our fleet" but I'm sure there are superior alternatives to the OEM oil as it is pretty rudimentary. I'll post again if I hear anything promising.  W

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

I saw where you mentioned you might be moving to Punta Gorda in another thread. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law live in Punta Gorda and my in-laws live across the bridge in Port Charlotte. Punta Gorda is a beautiful place. Hopefully I will run in to you sometime down there.

Stacey

1 hour ago, Snlcorn said:

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

I saw where you mentioned you might be moving to Punta Gorda in another thread. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law live in Punta Gorda and my in-laws live across the bridge in Port Charlotte. Punta Gorda is a beautiful place. Hopefully I will run in to you sometime down there.

Stacey

Some of the real estate deals there look almost too good to be true so we are moving slowly. Our place here on the upper Chesapeake is 6 bedrooms and 5,800 square feet with a 1,700 sq ft out building, all situated on a 4 mile dead end road so selling it won't happen over night.  W

The prices are very affordable there. They are planning on adding a resort on the Port Charlotte side of the bridge directly across from the Raceway gas station. I'm assuming this will impact real estate prices once they get started.

I don't care for Port Charlotte that much. The vibe changes distinctly once you cross the bridge into Punta Gorda. Once I retire from the Army in about three years we plan to retire somewhere in that vicinity. Pine Island and Malacha have some real nice properties that are very affordable too.

Stacey 

On 11/7/2017 at 6:29 AM, Wingnut said:

I am not an expert on oil by any means. Would it be OK to sub the Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic for the recommended 05W-30 synthetic?  The literature Yamaha provides stresses the oil should be 4M FC-W certified. 

I appreciate your time.

Stacey

11 hours ago, Snlcorn said:

I am not an expert on oil by any means. Would it be OK to sub the Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic for the recommended 05W-30 synthetic?  The literature Yamaha provides stresses the oil should be 4M FC-W certified. 

I appreciate your time.

Stacey

As stated, I just do not have any real world experience with the high output 4 cycle out boards as there are just not that many of them in the overall market. My industry contacts only venture into arenas where they think there might be volume sales for lubricants as testing and certification process is time consuming. I would use the 5w-30 OEM oil as vetted alternatives are just not apparent at this juncture. I'm all about finding cost effective alternatives to OEM, which ultimately out perform the expensive "factory" oil, but I do so with eyes wide open. We packaged a bunch of private label oils in bottles that carried the OEM's logo and said factory approved, but the fact was they were typically re-brands of existing oils already in our product lines. Mark up was terrible, and you could buy the same thing from the same tank almost anywhere for a fraction of the cost. Some blend to order products did exist like GM Goodwrench, and Caterpillar but they were rare. In Europe, Mobil 1, 15w-50 was re-branded for Volvo synthetic marine, until they opted for something cheaper. In the US they offered a straight 30w synthetic, but had cam shaft follower failures on their 8.1's and quickly changed suppliers. We did not even bid that contract as US production for Mobil 1 was about maxed out at that time. Below is a list of current alternatives, and based solely on that list my gut says that Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 would be superior to anything there but I would not put that in my new 250 until some evidence is compiled.  W

https://www.nmma.org/assets/cabinets/Cabinet456/2016 FC-W Registered Four-Stroke-Cycle Marine Oils.pdf

2 hours ago, Wingnut said:

As stated, I just do not have any real world experience with the high output 4 cycle out boards as there are just not that many of them in the overall market. My industry contacts only venture into arenas where they think there might be volume sales for lubricants as testing and certification process is time consuming. I would use the 5w-30 OEM oil as vetted alternatives are just not apparent at this juncture. I'm all about finding cost effective alternatives to OEM, which ultimately out perform the expensive "factory" oil, but I do so with eyes wide open. We packaged a bunch of private label oils in bottles that carried the OEM's logo and said factory approved, but the fact was they were typically re-brands of existing oils already in our product lines. Mark up was terrible, and you could buy the same thing from the same tank almost anywhere for a fraction of the cost. Some blend to order products did exist like GM Goodwrench, and Caterpillar but they were rare. In Europe, Mobil 1, 15w-50 was re-branded for Volvo synthetic marine, until they opted for something cheaper. In the US they offered a straight 30w synthetic, but had cam shaft follower failures on their 8.1's and quickly changed suppliers. We did not even bid that contract as US production for Mobil 1 was about maxed out at that time. Below is a list of current alternatives, and based solely on that list my gut says that Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 would be superior to anything there but I would not put that in my new 250 until some evidence is compiled.  W

https://www.nmma.org/assets/cabinets/Cabinet456/2016 FC-W Registered Four-Stroke-Cycle Marine Oils.pdf

good info.  I think the same thing when I see ketchup at the store. lol