Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SG Boater

Trim Gauge or Sending unit

4 posts in this topic

I've searched, but can't find any way to test whether it's the gauge or sending unit causing the gauge to remain static, regardless of key or outdrive position.  Correction, I have seen some comments on how to test gauges, but could only find that info for single purpose gauges and since mine is a 4 in 1 gauge, I have 2 harnesses with lots of wires going into the gauge and am not sure which wires provide feed to the gauge.  Took apart the sender and it appears just fine.  I did also see on here some comments on how to test with the sender is out by contacting the brushes with a jumper.  However if I don't see any movement of the gauge I won't be able to narrow it down to the wiring, or the gauge.  If it was a regular gauge I'd simply replace since they're cheap, even have an extra from old boat, but the 4 in 1 gauges are pretty pricey.  I replaced the sending unit on our last boat, so know what's involved.  If it turns out to be the sender/wiring, I'll just replace when i replace bellows in a couple years.

On a related note, I can't recall because it's been 10 years or so since I replaced on my old boat, but can the sending units be connected by pulling the wires in the boat out through the transom, connecting the sending unit wiring and then shoving them all the way back in.  I have a 210SSi, and don't think I'd be able to reach the connections from inside.

I am betting that it's the wires from the sender to the gauge. They are probably rotted out where they go from the gauge through the transom. The reason I say this is because my boat has never trimmed up since I have had the boat. I can use the trailer mode on the switch to trim up, which on my 03 is just clicking the switch up harder and is not a big deal. The reason for my trim up not working is due to a bad trim limit sender on the left side of the outdrive. Well, I opened the sender up and checked it and it was fine. While doing so, I found that the wires were so brittle, they were just flaking apart. Luckily, my trim gauge still works so I know how high I am trimmed and I don't go too high.

There are some vids on Youtube of how to run the wires without removing the drive but it looks like real pain. I would do as you said and replace the wires when you do the bellows. That being said, you may as well replace the senders at that time, too.

I'm guessing wires also, though they look fine, don't appear brittle, and no visible signs of degradation.  I'll replace the senders/wires when I do the bellows regardless of what I find since it appears the wires eventually give out, and I'd hate to loose total ability to trim.  But I won't be doing bellows for a year or two so if I found it was the gauge itself, would consider replacing now.  

I didn't realize the trim gauge is part of the 4 in 1. That stinks. I'm thinking I like the separate gauges better.....