sburke91

Interesting winterizing approach--drill pump

9 posts in this topic

I'm fortunate to have a heated garage big enough to hold my boat, so winterizing's more of a preventative maintenance activity than a must do--the boat never gets below 55 degrees all winter.

Last year I put antifreeze in the water system and pulled all the blue plugs on the engine, just in case we had an extended power outage, or the heater in the garage went down.

I did the same this year, but also wanted to get some AF in the block, just for corrosion protection over the off season.  As I was looking at the best way to get the AF into the block, I remembered that I had a drill-powered pump floating around.  A short hose on the inbound side, dropped into a gallon of AF, a longer hose on the outbound side, connected to the engine flush in the boat, and in short order AF was flowing into the block.  

I haven't pulled the flow diagram to see what areas the flush fitting doesn't reach, but was curious as to what the pitfalls of this approach would be.  I know the drive doesn't get any AF run through it using this approach but was curious as to any other risks for a normal outside storage, as it was a pretty easy way to get AF into the block on a raw water cooled boat.

With a cold block and closed thermostat, you may have only been pushing the AF into the manifolds.

50 minutes ago, Chap243 said:

With a cold block and closed thermostat, you may have only been pushing the AF into the manifolds.

+1, have to get engine up to enough temp to open the thermostat, and then take the AF reading at the exhaust, to insure that is where you want it to be set at.  Denny.

The tiny hole in the CLOSED COLD thermostat plate is not normally a high flow opening.

Removing the props & using a  15 gallon or larger pail with 50 / 50 antifreeze is simple enough.  Some of our boaters pull the prop send it out & do the heat up the engine routine.

I can't see what engine you have, but if you were pushing AF into the flush hose, without the engine running, I would be surprised much made it to the block at all. You would need to push it past a non spinning raw water pump then push it past the non spinning engine circulating pump. Not too likely. When the engine is not going to be run, pulling hoses and pouring AF in is the only way to get it where is needs to go.

A v8 block takes several gallons to fill it.

Agree with Paul, as your drill pump won't get by the raw water pump impeller as it is a positive displacement design. If you remove the discharge hose from the raw water pump and connect your pump to the hose, then your drill pump will have no problem getting around the rigid impeller engine water circulating pump as that is a centrifugal design having a ton of internal clearance. It still won't get you by a cold, closed thermostat though.  W

I assumed you have a VP with the inboard engine flush port. You might want to give us a few more specifics.

Yep--VP with the flush port.  I forgot about the thermostat being closed.  Next time I pull the boat out of the garage I'll get it up to temp and then flush the AF through.  Again, this is more a nice-to-have, since the boat has a nice, warm place to live over the winter.  

27 minutes ago, sburke91 said:

Yep--VP with the flush port.  I forgot about the thermostat being closed.  Next time I pull the boat out of the garage I'll get it up to temp and then flush the AF through.  Again, this is more a nice-to-have, since the boat has a nice, warm place to live over the winter.  

Another way to do it is to drain it, then pull the large thermostat hose and pour your mixture down the hose until full. This fills the block. Then do the same with the manifolds. Your fortunate that you have heated indoor storage, wish I did.