Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stan Newkirk

Stan Newkirk

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone besides me noticed an inordinate amount of noise and reverberation inside the Vortex while under cruise speed? My dog hates the boat and climbs into my wife's lap as soon as we take off. Has any one tried additional sound deadening material on the engine cover, or found any other answers to the noise issue? Chaparral is not aware of any problems.

20 minutes ago, Stan Newkirk said:

Has anyone besides me noticed an inordinate amount of noise and reverberation inside the Vortex while under cruise speed? My dog hates the boat and climbs into my wife's lap as soon as we take off. Has any one tried additional sound deadening material on the engine cover, or found any other answers to the noise issue? Chaparral is not aware of any problems.

That's why I have a 350MAG/MPI B3...

brick

Dogs hear WAY WAY higher frequencies than we do.  Sad to say you may have a bearing going bad slowly or a pump blade starting to cavitate.  A ultra sonic meter MIGHT pick up what is bothering the dog. Ear muffs for him might help.  If the people get low level pains in the head ?  Ultrasonic noise.

Not a lot of information about your ride to go on but poor engine alignment can set up a harmonic vibration, and I would think a missing IAC muffler on a Merc FI engine would drive a dog crazy. W

3 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Not a lot of information about your ride to go on but poor engine alignment can set up a harmonic vibration, and I would think a missing IAC muffler on a Merc FI engine would drive a dog crazy. W

It's a jet boat...

brick

Yes agree, the vortex rotax engines are high revving which tends towards a bit more vibration, on the earlier models (before 2016) the noise insulation wasn’t as good and I beleive the later models are much quieter - I had one of the early 223 twins and I used foam backed 1” car acoustic foam around the engine bay and on the backs of the bulkhead under the rear seat storage which helped reduce the noise. I’ve bought a thick pad for my dog to sit on, but to be fair he’s not the happiest mutt when the boats moving.

Almost forgot. Boat engines really do NOT HAVE a true air cleaner design. So another possibility is the air rushing into to the engine at different speeds. I have found some intakes can whistle a bit. But that is only what I can hear. A air leak can easily go higher than what we hear.

Can you put a old folded blanket right over the air inlet or the flame arrestor ?   restart the boat note how the dog reacts . Head comes up ? Call to the dog. See if he responds normally or a lot better.

You might get lucky. 

There is a forum of Vortex powered boats.  Post there. Some one may have your answer already.