Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric Fritzeen

Winterization

8 posts in this topic

Hi, is their a link that woud provide me with a proper and safe winterization for the 256ssi?  I get the normal parts, but I saw mention of a forum supported fogging cocktail.  I am interested in that.  Also, do I  need to remove the props for the winterization process?  It was not necessary for my twin inboard.  Are there forum favorite brands for stabilization of fuel?  Do products like MMO help? Lastly, should I crack an exhaust manifold loose to check for issues before winterizing?  Will removing the exhaust manifold in any way foul the process?

You might remind us of what engine and drive you have. While the process is similar there are a few nuances to making it easier for each brand of engine. I would suggest removing the props if nothing more than to re-grease the shaft. 

2 hours ago, Chap243 said:

You might remind us of what engine and drive you have. While the process is similar there are a few nuances to making it easier for each brand of engine. I would suggest removing the props if nothing more than to re-grease the shaft. 

K.  Volvo Penta 5.7.  Totally serviced outdrive and bellows this week.  

There are a couple ways to pickle an engine. You can fill your new fuel filter with two cycle oil, screw back on and run for 10-15 minutes. Your tanks fuel will mix with the two cycle oil and pass into the engine. The other way is to pull the fuel line from the fuel pump, hook up a short fuel line, and run the engine off a two cycle "weed eater or chainsaw" gas can of two cycle gas. If you don't run in salt and don't have a reason to believe there is a problem, I would not remove the exhaust manifold.

I was recently told by a trusted marine mechanic that it is no longer recommended to run a fuel/oil cocktail through the engine when winterizing.  The fuel evaporates leaving the oil to plug the fuel injectors.  Causes more problems then it solves.  

on MPI theres no need for the cocktail,  its even debateable to use stabil in the fuel tank.  Really no need to remove the props, but if its a Volvo then it might be wise to remove grease and put back on.  only reason I would take the  props off would be threat of theft where it was stored.  A lot of guys do their drive fluid change in the fall which would mean removing the prop anyways at that point you could grease the shaft and put back on.  Me I did fluids in the spring, but greased the shaft at the beginning of the year and middle.

Do not crack the manifold, doing so will add a lot of work but not really tell you anything.  crack the manifold you would then or should replace the gasket.  Two basic ways to winterize drain the block using the freezing plugs, or run the engine on pink AF.  pick your poison.

Thank you everyone for your help in winterizing my 256 ssi.  I drained the block manifolds, then I pulled big hose off of the thermostat coupler and filled.  After I removed the two other hoses and filled them.  Garage will be heated next week, but great piece of mind tonight!

Soldier is right on about props disappearing for any number of reasons. I removed the S S props & put on beat up scrap props in any storage place that was not VERY secure. with guard & cameras..  Never lost a junk prop.  BUUTT

A couple of people found DIFFERENT  SAME appearing props on next spring. As the engine had different WOT rpms.  Your call.