Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Foy

2004 chaperrel 290 engine bogs bad

13 posts in this topic

My boat has twin 4.3 mpi.  The starboard engine bogs bad after 2000 rpm.  I installed a new fuel line From the tank to the spin on filter-an  put it where the port engine fuel is supplied..still bogs. New plugs, coil, rotor & cap, still bogs, swapped engine control module, still bogs, disconnect the shift interrupter, still bogs, fuel pressure on both engines checks the same around 45 lbs. swapped out fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, still bogs. Also swapped out idle air valve.. still bog.  New fuel filter to.  When the throttle is full open it pops back thru the throttle body. Engine is a 2004 model. Any ideas?.?? I am kinda well not kinda I am stumped.

Check all your battery connections, including the ground cable to the engine block.  Have you done a compression test?  These are the only ideas I have right now.

like said before I would check all electrical.  What about the anti syphon valve at the gas tank.  be barbed lookiking connection at the tank that your fuel line goes to,  ball valve in there check to see if its stuck, otherwise run the engine off an external gas tank to eliminate the boats tank.  Other than that dirty injectors,  flame arrestor clean?

Swapped tank pickups. No change. Swapped out the anti syphon ball valve.  Will check elec connection today. Flame arrestor is clean. 

kind of would be at a loss,  before going any further and checking parts is to have the engine scanned or have somebody look at it.  could be something simple.  Last thing I could think of to do on your own is to check compression.

Getting to this engine is hard to do. But that what in my mind. Going to check compression after all electrical connections are checked. I have the boat at home in my shop. The marina here has a scanner but they say it will do good an they have Hay to cut an hall.  I post compression soon

Do your engines have a............Limp Home Mode................If yes. Get a computer read out of your computer error codes.  

Might get lucky.

5 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

good luck.  after doing those final checks, I would be apt to stop throwing parts and let some diagnose the issue.

Should have been one of the first things done.

Did it happen all at once or over time?. Your description sounds to me like it is possibly leaning out. Also a worn camshaft will do the same thing or if the timing chain has severely stretched.

5 hours ago, Rip5 said:

Should have been one of the first things done.

10 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

good luck.  after doing those final checks, I would be apt to stop throwing parts and let some diagnose the issue.

Going to get it diagnosed next week. A guy with the program an laptop promised he come an do it. 10 mile drive for him an I showed him 2 $100.00 bill that be his if he just come an let’s hook it up an see what it reads. There is no mariners or repair shop close with equipment to check this an I hated to pull this big boat 300 miles or better. 

Chances are he is going to have Rinda Tech's  DIACOM software on his laptop, or something similar that not only can view and clear the codes but also view and record all engine parameters while it is operating. Get your boat ready for on the water run, or at least have muffs and water hookup if the boat is on the hard. Run the engine until the temp opens the thermostat and then run it thru the entire rpm range. Good luck!

I would have i scanned while in the water and operating as it is when the issue occurs. It may not show it's self if not under load.