Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeffk

Keys Trip

18 posts in this topic

How about we look at some dates.

When we get that narrowed down we can pick a destination.

We could also have more than one group depending on where people want to go.

Whoo Hoo!!!  I'll need to look at school calendars, et., so let me do that and I'll chime in.  I agree with your thoughts on the other thread...upper keys.  I want to see cool snorkel sites (might be scuba certified by then too), dolphins and Sea Turtles for my boy.  He loves Sea Turtles.

I like the snorkeling in Key Largo.

Christ of the Deep statue is pretty cool.

Years ago there was a dolphin habitat and you could swim with the dolphins, it was pretty cool.

Tell your wife no Ocean!

I will be in the lower Keys and you have to check Looe Keys if you want to snorkel, you just can't miss it :), Molasses Key is a good spot to relax and the lighthouse at Sombrero  is a good spot too. Depending of how much time you will stay you will probably come to look at those spots. I will probably be there ;), waiting for you guys 

Found it.  Looe Key looks really cool.  It's on the "must do" list.  I'm looking at ways to keep from towing the boat allllll the way down and into the Keys.  Looks like we could put in at the south end of the Peninsula (Flamingo, perhaps?) and drive the boat south to the Hawk's Cay area.  Only about 25 miles or so.  Then spend time cruising up and down the Keys hitting Looe as the southern most point of the trip.  I know that may be a long way for @jeffk, though.  We would rather spend time with you guys further north and miss Looe Key if so.  I know @Exoset had some good marinas and resorts in mind as well as Drew too.  Would enjoy starting a quick list of tried and true marinas/resorts to get started.  We could then plan our expeditions from there.

I really dont want to spend much more than a day travelling to meet up.

Key largo is about 55 miles from me, I could probably make islmorada in a day trip.

11 hours ago, jeffk said:

I really dont want to spend much more than a day travelling to meet up.

Key largo is about 55 miles from me, I could probably make islmorada in a day trip.

Okay, so upper keys it is.  I'm seeing off Key Largo is John Pennenkamp State Park.  That looks pretty cool (also where Christ of the deep is located?).  Look like lots of great exploring up there too.

Middle of June about right for every one ?  I'm pretty much open".........

21 hours ago, RRRR said:

Middle of June about right for every one ?  I'm pretty much open".........

Looks like school is out June 1 so we’re good anytime after that. Mid-June sounds great!

I'll talk to Jonathan and Shellie to find out there school schedule......

Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well.

Unfortunately, the reefs took an absolute beating in Irma. News reports were very positive to not scare off tourists, but I've heard/seen from some local footage that a few of the reefs that were still relatively healthy before Irma, are now all but gone. I would still be happy to help plan and provide some Intel though, but realize the keys aren't the same this year as they were last year because of the storm.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:44 PM, TexasPilot71 said:

Looks like school is out June 1 so we’re good anytime after that. Mid-June sounds great!

Too bad you have to wait until then, TP.  Coming down with some buddies in January or February and meeting up with a friend for a week of fishing and boating.  Need that winter getaway.    

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎25 at 3:14 AM, drewm3i said:

Unfortunately, the reefs took an absolute beating in Irma. News reports were very positive to not scare off tourists, but I've heard/seen from some local footage that a few of the reefs that were still relatively healthy before Irma, are now all but gone. I would still be happy to help plan and provide some Intel though, but realize the keys aren't the same this year as they were last year because of the storm.

I heard the Keys took a beating with Irma, but hey, it is still one of the most enjoyable place in the world and I do hope everything will eventually recover, perhaps not for summer 2018 but in time I hope it will. How is your SR ? I hope you are close to finish your hard work on it.

I am planning a small trip from Marathon to Miami, as you guys said, a couple of days should be enough, perhaps I will be lucky enough to meet with all of you.

16 hours ago, Hatem said:

Too bad you have to wait until then, TP.  Coming down with some buddies in January or February and meeting up with a friend for a week of fishing and boating.  Need that winter getaway.    

Do you bring your boat with you ? :)

On 11/25/2017 at 6:00 PM, Hatem said:

Sounds like a great trip, sorry I'll miss you.  Good to hear from you!

On 11/25/2017 at 2:14 AM, drewm3i said:

That's good intel, Drew.  I probably wouldn't know the difference anyway.  Sure it will be beautiful!

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:30 AM, Exoset said:

Do you bring your boat with you ? :)

Not this time since it's snowing up here.  Maybe another time during summer and when it's not mostly a fishing trip.  Hopefully you guys will do this again.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:05 AM, TexasPilot71 said:

Sounds like a great trip, sorry I'll miss you.  Good to hear from you!

It'll happen one day, my friend. :-)