jeffk

Keys Trip

64 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, RRRR said:

Girls get out last week in May....... Leaving Pensacola on the 2nd of June would work.......Hitting the water late afternoon on the 3rd somewhere around JeffK.........

That would probably work for us.  Just remember....it's going to be a long ride from Miami around to the Keys.  Maybe not long for you, Jonathan, and I, but the ladies might not care for it too much.  Also depends on how deep in the Keys we want to go.  @Exoset will be down in Marathon if memory serves.  That's a long way.

My trip was cancelled.

I can go anytime.

It is about 2.5 hours from me to key largo, which would be a nice first stop.

How may day do you want to plan on?

5 hours ago, jeffk said:

My trip was cancelled.

I can go anytime.

It is about 2.5 hours from me to key largo, which would be a nice first stop.

How may day do you want to plan on?

We will be spending 4 days driving, and I think my wife will need to be back to work the following week.  So, realistically, Monday through Friday and drive Sat/Sun on each end of the week.  Things may change, but that's what we're thinking at the moment.

Maybe we should have a day or so in Islmorada than back to key largo than back to miami.

This way we make our way home and its a shorter trip on the last day.

12 hours ago, jeffk said:

Maybe we should have a day or so in Islmorada than back to key largo than back to miami.

This way we make our way home and its a shorter trip on the last day.

I like splitting it up!  Shorter rides.

I wanted to revive this thread.

While there is plenty of time, transient dockage in the keys is not plentiful.

So if you want to go lets finalize a date and I will search out some dockage.

For me it remains the same, be there from July 11th to August 11th at Marathon, I plan to go in Miami the first month, it could be during the time you will be there ;)

We just got our baseball schedule.  Playoff weekend will be June 9/10 so that puts us leaving Texas on the 11th (Monday) and arriving on Tuesday evening the 12th.  We will probably extend the trip a little meaning we can be in Florida that Tuesday night and have to be back on the road the following Monday or Tuesday (June 18/19).

So if you guys arrive Tuesday, do you want to leave wednesday have a day to get any supplies you may need and leave Thursday.

48 minutes ago, jeffk said:

So if you guys arrive Tuesday, do you want to leave wednesday have a day to get any supplies you may need and leave Thursday.

I think we can be there in time to get the boat in the water Tuesday evening, provision the next morning and be ready to leave Miami around noon.  Or, if you want to hang out at the sandbar Wednesday afternoon, that would be a good way to relax before heading to Keys.  Really open to either.  I'm even okay with hauling a bit farther and putting in down at North Key Largo area.  Haven't researched much about that option, though.

When you  go can you post your trip. Im in Ontario Canada and I am thinking about towing my boat down to either do the keys or cruise over to the bahamas. Its a bucket list item. Thanks!!!

I too am following this thread as I will be boating out of Venice FL during that time.  I may be able to join, if you will have me. I would motor along the SW coast and meet up wherever - Marathon? 

6 hours ago, Chappy275ssi said:

When you  go can you post your trip. Im in Ontario Canada and I am thinking about towing my boat down to either do the keys or cruise over to the bahamas. Its a bucket list item. Thanks!!!

I have made a video 2 years ago from Quebec to Florida Keys, don't know if this is the kind of experience you are looking for though :

21 hours ago, Chappy275ssi said:

Thanks Exoset! Great Video! How long did it take you to get down there? Any tips would be appreciated!

3-4 days from Lévis Qc to Marathon FL. We loved the trip, it is like a part of the holidays for us, but when we reached the 7 miles bridge and saw our playground all around us, I was so glad I brought the boat with us. I mean with your own boat and after a long trip like that I can't describe what you feel when you see the gulf on your right and the Atlantic on your left. It has to be done, at least one time. In my case, it was so hard to get back and launch the boat in the muddy water of the St Lawrence. I mean, in the Keys you are almost always in the water, in Canada you are always on the boat, a different experience but it is kind of sad when you have to go back :p. Other than that, we lived in the boat (Sig 270) 3-4 weeks with a kid and 2 dogs. It was ok. This year it will be 2 kids and 2 dogs but we have upgraded to a Sig 290, it should be even better I guess ;). We went to Sunshine Key RV and Marina and the cost was around 1500 USD for a month. Some days were windy and we stayed in the Gulf, but we went to the Atlantic side each time we could. I am telling you, if you go down there one time, you will get back again ;). If I had one single advice, it would be to do it as soon as you can because the trip is kind of long, and you have to keep your focus all along because you are towing. But hey, we just have one life so... Carpe Diem ;)

On 2/24/2018 at 9:44 AM, MontreAl said:

I too am following this thread as I will be boating out of Venice FL during that time.  I may be able to join, if you will have me. I would motor along the SW coast and meet up wherever - Marathon? 

Of course "we'll have you"!  The more Chaps the merrier!

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎24 at 10:44 AM, MontreAl said:

54 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Of course "we'll have you"!  The more Chaps the merrier!

Are you planning to come all the way down to Marathon ? I understood that it was too far and you didn't have enough time which is why I was planning to came in Miami to meet you guys but if you are coming to Marathon, I will just wait :p.

5 hours ago, Exoset said:

3-4 days from Lévis Qc to Marathon FL. We loved the trip, it is like a part of the holidays for us, but when we reached the 7 miles bridge and saw our playground all around us, I was so glad I brought the boat with us. I mean with your own boat and after a long trip like that I can't describe what you feel when you see the gulf on your right and the Atlantic on your left. It has to be done, at least one time. In my case, it was so hard to get back and launch the boat in the muddy water of the St Lawrence. I mean, in the Keys you are almost always in the water, in Canada you are always on the boat, a different experience but it is kind of sad when you have to go back :p. Other than that, we lived in the boat (Sig 270) 3-4 weeks with a kid and 2 dogs. It was ok. This year it will be 2 kids and 2 dogs but we have upgraded to a Sig 290, it should be even better I guess ;). We went to Sunshine Key RV and Marina and the cost was around 1500 USD for a month. Some days were windy and we stayed in the Gulf, but we went to the Atlantic side each time we could. I am telling you, if you go down there one time, you will get back again ;). If I had one single advice, it would be to do it as soon as you can because the trip is kind of long, and you have to keep your focus all along because you are towing. But hey, we just have one life so... Carpe Diem ;)

Kind of weird to quote itself but...

I forgot to mention something, don't forget your decal if you are planning to boat in a US area. cost is 28-29 USD for 31 ft and more at https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/# and can be order online and shipped.

If you're smaller than 30 ft, I think you just have to go in the nearest harbor when you arrive.

Same thing about your VHF licence, go to : http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf08764.html

and fill the IC-3020, I think you will have a small fee of 36 CAD. This way your MMSI will be known in US just in case you are in trouble or need/want to use your VHF.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend an antifouling on your hull, salt water tends to be... corrosive ;)

I think those points are pretty useful, and even if it is not required, remember that US flag goes on the bow and Canadian flag on the stern ;) not like me in the video :p.

19 hours ago, Exoset said:

Are you planning to come all the way down to Marathon ? I understood that it was too far and you didn't have enough time which is why I was planning to came in Miami to meet you guys but if you are coming to Marathon, I will just wait :p.

Well, he said meet up "wherever", so all I'm saying is that if he wants to join us (or you) the more the merrier.  I still don't know the extent of our itinerary.  We are honestly still trying to figure out dates that work for our kids, etc.  I'm pretty well set on June 11-19, however.  Can't do it sooner due to baseball.

5 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Well, he said meet up "wherever", so all I'm saying is that if he wants to join us (or you) the more the merrier.  I still don't know the extent of our itinerary.  We are honestly still trying to figure out dates that work for our kids, etc.  I'm pretty well set on June 11-19, however.  Can't do it sooner due to baseball.

This meet-up may be at the end of a larger cruise the Admiral and I are contemplating. Leaving Venice, FL, we want to traverse the state via the Okeechobee  water way and then head South to the keys and back North to Venice. A bit of a mini great-loop. Since I am "retiring" from full time employment on 31-March, we no longer are restrained by vacation days.

Just now, MontreAl said:

This meet-up may be at the end of a larger cruise the Admiral and I are contemplating. Leaving Venice, FL, we want to traverse the state via the Okeechobee  water way and then head South to the keys and back North to Venice. A bit of a mini great-loop. Since I am "retiring" from full time employment on 31-March, we no longer are restrained by vacation days.

That sounds incredible!! 

https://www.keylargomarina.com/

I believe this marina has enough transient slips.

We need to pick some definite dates to get this done.

I can make the slip reservations, you guys will have to figure out where to launch.

Check out Harbortown on Collins avenue

Are you guys staying on your boats, or local lodging?  Jeffk, are there accommodations available around the marinas you are suggesting.  I, at this time still have my same boat.......

Larry

9 hours ago, RRRR said:

Are you guys staying on your boats, or local lodging?  Jeffk, are there accommodations available around the marinas you are suggesting.  I, at this time still have my same boat.......

Larry

I can talk Lisa into one night on the boat...maybe two if they're not consecutive.  Might depend more on the mosquitoes, though! Otherwise we will be looking for lodging preferably connected to the marina.  I like the one @jeffk linked to!  Looks like there's a Holiday Inn and a Courtyard right there.

I will be on the boat.

You will have to check for surrounding lodging, I am sure it is not a problem.

It is high season so locking this down is important.

Do you guys want to go as far as Islemorada?

I can look for slips there also.

So far it is just the three of us.