jeffk

Keys Trip

66 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, jeffk said:

I will be on the boat.

You will have to check for surrounding lodging, I am sure it is not a problem.

It is high season so locking this down is important.

Do you guys want to go as far as Islemorada?

I can look for slips there also.

So far it is just the three of us. 

Looks to be about 80 miles from Miami to Islemorada?  I would say make that a second stop (Largo for a couple days then Islemorada), but that would mean an 80 mile trek back to Miami to go home.  Man, I love that idea, but not sure about the distance.  Another option would be to find a place to put in around Key Largo itself and lessen the distances traveled.  Of course that wouldn't reduce your mileage, Jeff.

Sorry,

I dont log in a lot.

So far it looks like three of us.

What day do you want to get down here and I can make some resrvations?

We can go to Islemorada first.

If we leave at a decent hour we can go halfway drop an anchor go swimming and have lunch then continue.

Or we can spend all the time in key largo.

You may even want to spend a day at the sandbar here.

check out haulover sandbar on youtube

@RRRR and I just had dinner this evening in Pensacola. A couple things up in the air but I think we’ve nailed down the dates. We would arrive at Miami in the late afternoon Tuesday June 12. We would need to be leaving Miami for home the morning of Monday June 18.

Personally I think we would rather get on the way down to the Keys the morning of the 13th. Not sure we want to go all of 80 miles to Islamorada but I’ll leave that to your expertise. Will start looking at places near Haulover to put in and start looking at the marinas you’ve mentioned. 

Thanks for the legwork Jeff!

On 3/2/2018 at 3:27 PM, TexasPilot71 said:

Looks to be about 80 miles from Miami to Islemorada?  I would say make that a second stop (Largo for a couple days then Islemorada), but that would mean an 80 mile trek back to Miami to go home.  Man, I love that idea, but not sure about the distance.  Another option would be to find a place to put in around Key Largo itself and lessen the distances traveled.  Of course that wouldn't reduce your mileage, Jeff.

80 miles should only be about 4 hours.... Fuel is your only concern. A 4 hour tour... A 4 hour tour :)

During the month I will be in the Keys, I have planned to go in Miami for 2-3 days, if you guys are around between 12 and 18 June, I will try to meet you at the haulover. Let's stay in  touch in this thread :)

45 minutes ago, Exoset said:

During the month I will be in the Keys, I have planned to go in Miami for 2-3 days, if you guys are around between 12 and 18 June, I will try to meet you at the haulover. Let's stay in  touch in this thread :)

Here's our current but not committed (yet) plan:

Arrive MIA Sunday June 17

Monday June 18: Spend the day at Haulover sand bar

Tuesday June 19: boat leisurely down to Key Largo area

Wed/Thu June 20/21: Explore Key Largo

Fri June 22: boat back to Miami

2 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Here's our current but not committed (yet) plan:

Arrive MIA Sunday June 17

Monday June 18: Spend the day at Haulover sand bar

Tuesday June 19: boat leisurely down to Key Largo area

Wed/Thu June 20/21: Explore Key Largo

Fri June 22: boat back to Miami

Hmmm I will look into it, perhaps Friday June 22 could be the best day to join you since I want to go in Miami. This way we could ride together from Key Largo to Miami. Will you launch your Sig at Miami then all your trip will be done in the boat or will you move it on the trailer every time you change of spot ?

10 hours ago, Exoset said:

Hmmm I will look into it, perhaps Friday June 22 could be the best day to join you since I want to go in Miami. This way we could ride together from Key Largo to Miami. Will you launch your Sig at Miami then all your trip will be done in the boat or will you move it on the trailer every time you change of spot ?

Oh yes we will do this all by boat. One launch one recovery. 

I'm watching this too, FYI.  But haven't decided to commit yet.  I'm still stewing over missing the Bimini trip last year.  Fortunately the boat has behaved well since then.

10 hours ago, Duane2135 said:

I'm watching this too, FYI.  But haven't decided to commit yet.  I'm still stewing over missing the Bimini trip last year.  Fortunately the boat has behaved well since then.

This would be a much easier trip, Duane (except for the long tow).  Would enjoy you coming along!

The admiral and I are leaving our homeport in Venice, FL tomorrow for a 10-day cruise. We thought we might stay a few days at John Pennekamp SP, but after calling them we understand they still have no power or water at the boat slips.  It actually reports this on the website, but it is not easy to find:

Slips are located in the marina and include bathroom and shower facilities nearby. Moorings are located in Largo Sound with dinghy dockage at the marina. Both include full use of the park facilities, trash disposal, and pump out. Reservations recommended. Call (305)451-6322. Water and power are not included at this time.

19 hours ago, MontreAl said:

The admiral and I are leaving our homeport in Venice, FL tomorrow for a 10-day cruise. We thought we might stay a few days at John Pennekamp SP, but after calling them we understand they still have no power or water at the boat slips.  It actually reports this on the website, but it is not easy to find:

Slips are located in the marina and include bathroom and shower facilities nearby. Moorings are located in Largo Sound with dinghy dockage at the marina. Both include full use of the park facilities, trash disposal, and pump out. Reservations recommended. Call (305)451-6322. Water and power are not included at this time.

Well, there has been a change of plans anyway.  Due to some unforeseen issues, we are only going as far as Pensacola.  That's a much easier drive anyway.  Maybe next year we'll go to the Keys.