Eric Fritzeen

Anti fouling paint

I intend to recoat the existing antifouling paint on my hull.  I have always used Interlux in the past.  But now there are so many varieties of what used to be so simple.  Any ideas?  Also my stern drive needs sanded and coated, I expect to prime and paint.  Your thoughts?  My boat is a 2006 Chaparral 256 SSI.  The outdrive is matched to the 5.7 GXI VP.

Can't contribute much to the hull re-paint as I haven't done that yet, will do this spring. But the outdrive refinishing is something that I've done several times.

I'd pull the drive to do it if you haven't already. Easy to do and gives you the chance to check bellows and ujoints. From there your prep is going to depend on the current condition of the existing paint. If not bad you can just lightly sand and repaint with VP SX silver. If you have corrosion, you will need to sand down to bare metal. Do not use a wire brush, unless it is brass. If you get down to bare metal you will need to prime first. Use zinc chromate primer, then paint over. I like topping my paint off with a clear coat for a real deep glossy appearance.

If you are bottom painting your hull, are you also putting anti fouling paint on your outdrive.   That would determine how to give an answer.

Are you boating in fresh or salt and do you slip your boat or trailer?

I would avoid anti fouling the drive unless you slip in salt water.

Walk around your marina and ask what people use.

I always liked an ablative but in some areas that may not be an option.

You need to use a non-copper paint on the drives. I do it every year and it will last up to Sept. with 2 coats.

Some near me swear by the VC17.    It dries  really smooth and will reduce  drag in the water.  You can touch and feel the difference.

10 hours ago, gr8lakes said:

Some near me swear by the VC17.    It dries  really smooth and will reduce  drag in the water.  You can touch and feel the difference.

I tried it in salt water and it did not last long.