watson524

264 with no trim tabs?

14 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on a 264 with no trim tabs? Required on a boat this size? Nice to have? Can be added after the fact?

They can be added ...... and I would definitely add them.

There are many threads on this forum that discuss adding trim tabs.

Yeah adding them doesn't appear to be too big of an issue (sans my aversion to drilling holes in my boat), and I've always assumed a boat this size should have them, if but nothing else but to help balance out people load, but I may be looking at a used one that doesn't have them.

I don't have them on mine, I've thought about adding them throughout the years, but honestly never felt it was a must have. Just never had a problem getting up on plane. Now, I'm a lake boater and don't see a lot of rough water either. Also don't like the thought of drilling holes below the waterline.

They are just little ones.

What about that big one that your outdrive is stuck in, with only a rubber boot to keep the water out?

At least you won't sink.  Denny.

I waited a long time to add them. Just didn't seem to think it would make that much of a difference. WRONG......

After I added them, the boat handles ten times better. If your new ride doesn't have them not a biggie, use it for a season then add them. 

an easy and relatively cheap add-on.  I added the Bennett hydraulic tabs and it was pretty easy.  They are really nice to have on our boats that are quite stern heavy.

If you plan on any choppy water use, I'd highly recommend them. On the Chesapeake, I use them all the time.

I have them, rarely use them, only to balance boat side to side.  I would say unnecessary but ok to have.  My boating is on a large lake that is mostly rough on weekends.

I actually use mine mostly during watersports.  When pulling the kids on the tube I can keep the speed where they like it but still keep the boat riding flat rather than bow high.  

I love mine, largely for balancing side to side (especially since the seating layout on the 225 SSI is port-heavy) when I have multiple people on the boat.  They are nice when towing and once in a while in rough water.  

I put them on last year...my 264 handles like a different boat.  I am a little crazy about the bow being level, (passengers & etc.), and this has solved all of that issue.

Should have done it sooner.  

No one seems to mention whether they prevent or reduce yaw. At no-wake speeds going left and right without touching the steering.  Drives me nuts while in the Erie Canal. 

38 minutes ago, SST said:

No one seems to mention whether they prevent or reduce yaw. At no-wake speeds going left and right without touching the steering.  Drives me nuts while in the Erie Canal. 

Yes, the trim tabs do improve tracking when fully deployed but I would not install them for that reason alone.