eggman

Looking at a 1992 Chaparral

24 posts in this topic

Found a boat that has been abandoned. It's been in the woods for several years.  Looks to be a 1992 Chaparral with a 431 Volvo motor and drive unit.  Don't know if its worth pulling out or not as of yet. It looks like someone just dumped it there and kept the trailer and let the trees grow up around it.  If motor/drive unit is ok and decent, I could put it in a different boat. Last registration sticker on it is dated 2007.  From the pics my gf took of it, looks like all covers and fill plugs seem to be on it. There are a lot of unknowns, I realize this. If the block is cracked from not being winterized properly, what are the typical crack locations of a marine 4.3?  First thing is to put a wrench on it and see if it turns over.  If I can't get it to turn over, I'll walk on by.   Is there anything that I need to know about looking at the drive unit?  I'm going to look at it in depth this weekend. The town that the last know owners live in is about 50 miles away.  Still tracking them down.Thanks for the help and the info. 

Man, that just sounds like a nightmare.  The man hours alone to get it in working order would be tremendous much less the cash outlay.  For me, I'd start with making sure the stringers, transom, floor aren't rotted, which I'm sure they are.  You can put a new engine and drive in a boat in a weekend but replacing the wood and the grinding and glasswork is a long process at best.  You can get late 90's boats that are in nice shape for a song and likely for a similar all in price as what it would take to get that 92 ready.  

No flag for being stolen, or missing.  I'm not seeing it as "stored" and forgotten...lol.

I have replaced stringers and floors and re 'glassed both, as well as replaced a transom or two.  Yes, alot of work.  But not too bad.  I'll know after this weekend if it turns over or not, need to know if its froze up.

Resized_20171115_155133_1777.jpg

Holy Moldy! 

Is this a scene from the Walking Dead?  

This boat goes beyond my refurbish capacity. Good luck      .

Hope you are JUST LOOKING at it.  It is a waste of a experienced persons time & their money.     Pass on it.

That is totally trashed. Will cost way more to try and repair than buying a similar boat in good shape. Run

brick

Hey I'm all for a good project but cripes...... We are likely soon selling our 1987 in #%^$&%$ near pristine condition with a 4.3. No offense, and I'm sad as #$^% to see it in that condition, but that just seems like there should be some kind of stupid tax added to the purchase price.

I know this year has flown by, but is it April 1st already? Surely you're kidding right? If this is a project you end up pursuing, do yourself a favor and keep no records of your time and money spent on it.  With enough time, skill, and money, virtually anything can be fixed.  But, there's certainly cheaper and easier ways to get into a boat.

14 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

wouldn't do anything until I run through the HIN number through DMV and see what they have to say. 

so very true...........

I am sure its there for a reason and not a good one. The price to get rid of a "bad" boat is higher than what the boat is worth. To cut it up, dispose of any fuel and oil properly cost $$. What some people have done is grind the hull #'s off and sink there the boat.   

Despite all of our wonderful and positive support over rehabbing this boat, we'd all love to see how well this turns out if you decide to take it on.

Take pictures and post them!

This would be a serious challenge to Fab303 mold remover.

3 hours ago, SST said:

Despite all of our wonderful and positive support over rehabbing this boat, we'd all love to see how well this turns out if you decide to take it on.

Take pictures and post them!

This would be a serious challenge to Fab303 mold remover.

Yes!! So very true........

It would be a labor of love!

Wow, thanks for all the comments.  If I would have taken this on this would be the third boat of this condition for me to rescue.  And no its not a waste of time, its more like therapy for me.

Of all the comments here, NO ONE EVER ANSWERED MY ACTUAL QUESTIONS.  All I got was opinions and no information. Thanks.  Even the moderator who moved this from the volvo engine category didn't even help.  I thought engine questions went in the engine question area.  Oh well.

Anyways, I went by there and started poking around in the leaves and found a very large hole in the bottom of the boat.  Scratch this one off my list.  Although a very interesting old man stopped and asked me what I was doing.  I thought I was about to get the lecture, but he invited me by his place of which is a Wellcraft sitting in his barnyard with what he has been told is a blown motor.  I will be going back over Thanksgiving to toss a battery in it and see what I can see.  It ran last summer.  My gf did see it on the water so she can confirm it.

9 minutes ago, eggman said:

Wow, thanks for all the comments.  If I would have taken this on this would be the third boat of this condition for me to rescue.  And no its not a waste of time, its more like therapy for me.

Of all the comments here, NO ONE EVER ANSWERED MY ACTUAL QUESTIONS.  All I got was opinions and no information. Thanks.  Even the moderator who moved this from the volvo engine category didn't even help.  I thought engine questions went in the engine question area.  Oh well.

Anyways, I went by there and started poking around in the leaves and found a very large hole in the bottom of the boat.  Scratch this one off my list.  Although a very interesting old man stopped and asked me what I was doing.  I thought I was about to get the lecture, but he invited me by his place of which is a Wellcraft sitting in his barnyard with what he has been told is a blown motor.  I will be going back over Thanksgiving to toss a battery in it and see what I can see.  It ran last summer.  My gf did see it on the water so she can confirm it.

From the picture, a hole in the bottom would be the least of your worries. I appreciate that anything can be fixed, and it can be therapeutic, and you have strong repair skills. Best of luck with the Wellcraft. 

brick

Sorry you didn't get the any answers to your questions.  I personally have never heard of the Volvo 431, so I can't help either.  This site is FULL of naysayers, with most very are conservative.  There are a few members that are gold here.  Most mean well, but they tend to error on the side of caution.

my guess is the engine and/or drive is shot, and when it died the boat was dumped.  I'd be surprised if the dumper bothered to winterize the boat before they dumped it.  But that's a guess.

Good luck.

Volvo Penta 431 engine exists with that same decal.

You are right brick. It is a V6.

Drain a bout a 1/2 of a whisky shot glass of the oil out of the stern drive .   IF IT IS in a vertical position.  Water comes out ?  

OP showed some thin skinned tendencies when he asked these questions on iBoats. Members there were not as sympathetic as here.

Most of us PAY for the mechanical & electrical.  He on the other hand can do repairs that he is happy with.

Eggman is a boating buddy I would like to have.  :)