Jet Pilot

My new paint job

9 posts in this topic

I don't know what he was trying to do, but you can see the two different shades of blue. The rest of the boat was fine.

I'm not a big fan of the paint styling on any of the VRX series, much prefer the colour schemes and lines of the ssi or sunset models. But I wanted a jet boat and the price was v good. 

I played around with a stripe along the side and another line along the topside but neither looked good. 

thumb_IMG_0821_1024.jpg

Looks good from here, I'm in Ohio, LOL.

What paint was it shot in?

PPG makes an automotive paint that is called Concept that is very durable and works well on boats, it is 100% urethane.

I painted mine in 92 with a PPG product called Durathane, other then the normal wear and tear, it still looks like the day I put it on.

Just curious, I did body work for 50 years.  Denny.

Toddler - the boat looks fantastic. Love the integrated lights.

Denny - not my handi-work. I asked the paint shop guy and this is what he said : Solid base colour, then metallic blue base coat, then chromax /DuPont clear coat 1200s refinish clear coat followed by hardener AK260 high solid chromax. The paint guy was brilliant, he allowed me to dabble with the design quite a few times, try a few things, see what worked, what didn't etc.  however, I know this isn't the most durable paint so I spray the boat down after use with saltaway, wash etc , and keep it under cover.

17 hours ago, Jet Pilot said:

Toddler - the boat looks fantastic. Love the integrated lights.

Denny - not my handi-work. I asked the paint shop guy and this is what he said : Solid base colour, then metallic blue base coat, then chromax /DuPont clear coat 1200s refinish clear coat followed by hardener AK260 high solid chromax. The paint guy was brilliant, he allowed me to dabble with the design quite a few times, try a few things, see what worked, what didn't etc.  however, I know this isn't the most durable paint so I spray the boat down after use with saltaway, wash etc , and keep it under cover.

As long as it is a good automotive paint it will hold up. How long ago was it painted, it takes about 30 days at 70 degrees and above for it to totally cross link and totally harden. Under cover in a building or a tarp? Fresh paint needs to breath, I don't like to tarp, if the wind blows, the tarp could leave marks in the paint. And with all the steps that were taken, you don't want to put any marks in it. You can't touch up metallic colors, without being able to tell you did so. She does look pretty, I like the looks of the package that you chose to put on her, very clean looking.  Denny.