Jminz

Trailer guide recommendations

16 posts in this topic

The admiral has requested we add trailer guides to our 220 SSI trailer. We had them on our other boat but they were flimsy. What guides are you all using that you would recommend?

I removed them from the trailer because mine is 10 ft wide and guides makes the whole even wider. Tooo lazy to put and remove them every time but I have to say, when retrieving the boat with submerge trailer it is handy. Without them I just center the boat on the trailer winch.

I`ve had them on my last two boat trailers, they can be a godsend when loading a boat. Mine have both been the curved aluminum with the PVC post slipped down over that. My current trailer came stock with them, for my last trailer, I purchased them off ebay. They just U bolted to the existing trailer frame.  Both my trailers have been aluminum, if your trailer is steel, not sure how the dissimilar metals could react.

My trailer came with them and I took them off.  To me they are more of a PITA then they are worth.

Just now, MonkeySeaII said:

My trailer came with them and I took them off.  To me they are more of a PITA then they are worth.

They arent for me, but the wife. She loads the boat, so whatever she says goes. More so looking at recommendations for brands or types. 

More than anything, I use mine to ensure the boat is perfectly centered on the bunks as it comes out of the water on the trailer.  The right wave or wind gust can cause the boat to sit slightly on one of the chines, which is annoying.  I stand in the boat and keep it centered by holding onto one of the guides while the trailer and boat come up the ramp.

My trailer's a Magic Tilt, and the guides are from them.  They've been very sturdy--have been smacked by both the boat and low-hanging vegetation a few times and are none the worse for wear.  The covers on my guides are just PVC pipe with caps, so easy to replace if one finally succumbs.

http://magictiltwholesale.com/index.php/pv-guides-bow-rest

I do not have them. Wife drives boat onto the trailer. The trick is to not set the trailer in too deep, which allows the bunks to grab and catch the boat. 

brick

54 minutes ago, brick said:

I do not have them. Wife drives boat onto the trailer. The trick is to not set the trailer in too deep, which allows the bunks to grab and catch the boat. 

brick

I've found this approach to be highly dependent on trailer design and ramp angle.  It used to work well with my old boat and trailer, but with my current combo, it takes a lot of throttle (almost a scary amount) to get the boat all the way up to the bow roller if the bunks grab at all.  

I have the exact same issue, where the bunks have a lot of traction and its hard to get the boat to the front roller if its not deep enough, 19 H2O. You really have to crank the winch hard to get the boat up far enough. I dont have her use the throttle to help me, I just use brute force to pull the boat forward. I am going to try the bunk spray lube next year. I do have the guides, I bought them from etrailer, they are the 60" tall lit ones from CE Smith, and they slightly bend every time my wife hits them. She is not nailing them, just rubbing against them from the wind or current pushing the boat as shes trimming up the outdrive while driving forward. Each time we hit the lake, after I unload the boat, I have to bend them back from the PREVIOUS trip where they got slightly bent. I dont think  I would recommend them, as I think they bend a little too easy. I'm glad they are on there to help the wife, but I wish they didnt bend so easy. I can imagine on a heavier longer boat they would bend even easier than my 19 footer does. I have about an inch and a half gap between the guide and the boat. Bottom line is, I'm glad they are on there for the wife, but wouldnt recommend the ones I have.

My trailer had side bunks that ran along side the boat.  They kept me from being able to clean the sides, and added stress to the fender supports.  So I took them off.  The only time I miss them is when I have a cross wind or flowing water at the ramp.

1 hour ago, jimmerheck said:

I have the exact same issue, where the bunks have a lot of traction and its hard to get the boat to the front roller if its not deep enough, 19 H2O. You really have to crank the winch hard to get the boat up far enough. I dont have her use the throttle to help me, I just use brute force to pull the boat forward. I am going to try the bunk spray lube next year. I do have the guides, I bought them from etrailer, they are the 60" tall lit ones from CE Smith, and they slightly bend every time my wife hits them. She is not nailing them, just rubbing against them from the wind or current pushing the boat as shes trimming up the outdrive while driving forward. Each time we hit the lake, after I unload the boat, I have to bend them back from the PREVIOUS trip where they got slightly bent. I dont think  I would recommend them, as I think they bend a little too easy. I'm glad they are on there to help the wife, but I wish they didnt bend so easy. I can imagine on a heavier longer boat they would bend even easier than my 19 footer does. I have about an inch and a half gap between the guide and the boat. Bottom line is, I'm glad they are on there for the wife, but wouldnt recommend the ones I have.

Upgrade to a heavy duty 2-speed winch.  Piece of cake to pull my 220SSi up nice and snug.

brick

18 minutes ago, brick said:

Upgrade to a heavy duty 2-speed winch.  Piece of cake to pull my 220SSi up nice and snug.

brick

I went to an electric wench, mainly out of necessity, Too old, and too weak. And mine is an E-Z Roller.   Denny

I took the tall flimsy J pipes to a muffler shop that did custom S S pipe bends.  Tough. Has white PVC sleeves that spin on big washers on the bottom. The boat can push the trailer sideways with no bending.

I use 2 S S  U bolts on each pipe to frame place.

10 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

Same with me, they are standing in the corner of the garage.

10 hours ago, Rick480 said:

Same with me, they are standing in the corner of the garage.

lol, same place as mine.  I have found that when I approach the trailer, as the bow hits the landing bunks, it always tends to kick the stern the the side before the hull centers itself and seats.  When that happens, it bangs into the guides and either bends them or marks the hull.  So that's why I removed them.  And honestly, I focus on lining up the nose of the bow with the winch so the guides don't really help anyway.

My ramps, wind directions & river currents forced me to use 4 S S poles & rotating white PVC sleeves.  Goofy looking.  But it does the job.

I have had people ask me. " Are you going out ? That is at least a 7 to 10 mph current. " 

A little pucker factor is involved.

Edit

Just remembered.  For high spring water levels & currents. I bolt on a about 400 pound piece of mainline railroad track. It holds the trailer at 45 degress down river angle while load & unload.