Scott A

travel cover

32 posts in this topic

Could anyone recommend a good travel cover?  I have a 2014 216SSi that came with a nice sunbrella cover, but was told by the dealer it was not for trailering.  I've had the boat at my dock on a FL lake and have not had to really trailer it, but I'm moving up to WI and will not have a dock anymore.  any recommendations would be appreciated.  thank you

7 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Take it to a local canvas shop and have one made. 

+1  Denny.

I just had to get one.  didn't have a lot of time cause was picking up a new to me boat, 3 1/2 hours away on the only day that our schedules allowed and the forecast was for rain (he didn't have a travel cover).  Ordered a Westland brand custom fit cover (Sunbrella) from coveranything.com for $600 (I needed a trailerable tarp anyhow).  That was as cheap as I could find for custom fit sunbrella, and they had it to me in less than a week.  Fits like a glove and kept it bone dry driving the whole way home in rain.  Has a rope to cinch below the rub rail and 12 straps that go around the trailer rails.  but a local shop may be less?

Scratch that, at least from that website.  Just looked and they don't offer the Westland tarps for your boat.  Another site may.

I'd also recommend a custom one. But others have had good luck with store bought semi custom ones. 

If your in a rush have it srink waped for the trip. 

On 11/20/2017 at 0:16 PM, Scott A said:

Could anyone recommend a good travel cover?  I have a 2014 216SSi that came with a nice sunbrella cover, but was told by the dealer it was not for trailering.  I've had the boat at my dock on a FL lake and have not had to really trailer it, but I'm moving up to WI and will not have a dock anymore.  any recommendations would be appreciated.  thank you

Welcome to the group. Your dealer is correct regarding trailering with the mooring cover on ( although some on this site do so without issues ). My original mooring cover blew off on it's first tow.  I have posted the story numerous times before, so I won't repeat it again here.

Whatever you get, watch for any chafing that can quickly damage your gelcoat.

brick

My previous Chaparral I towed for eight years with the snap down, two piece mooring cover.  Not so much as a single snap came unsnapped in that time.  Current Chaparral got one tow to its boat lift from the city with the same style two piece snap down cover with no trouble.  The cover has a tag on it that says not to tow above 30mph.  

I bought my custom fit, trailerable, Sunbrella cover on ebay. You might take a look there.

2 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

My previous Chaparral I towed for eight years with the snap down, two piece mooring cover.  Not so much as a single snap came unsnapped in that time.  Current Chaparral got one tow to its boat lift from the city with the same style two piece snap down cover with no trouble.  The cover has a tag on it that says not to tow above 30mph.  

On my boat, the cockpit cover pulls the snap clip off the windshield frame, regardless of how the snap clip is oriented. My bow cover stays in place. 

brick

Depends on what you want.  A quick solution for a one time problem would be to have it shrink wrapped and then its good for winter lay up as well.  Second it depends on what your long term storage plan is and how you boat.  If you keep the boat under cover and do mainly local boating id opt to save the money and not buy a travel cover, no reason to travel cover it to the ramp and back if you stay somewhat local.  After a day of boating I tend to leave the boat uncovered anyways to dry out instead of throwing a cover on it.  Before I had over head cover I would trailer it without anything or cock pit cover never had an issue, then in the winter had a cheaper semi custom cover.

4 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Mine has the bow and cockpit covers. I tow with them on all the time. No issues so far. Even towed it 5 hrs to the coast at 70mph. No issues to date. I do make sure the screws in the snaps are tight from time to time. 

11 minutes ago, Ponyboy96 said:

Mine has the bow and cockpit covers. I tow with them on all the time. No issues so far. Even towed it 5 hrs to the coast at 70mph. No issues to date. I do make sure the screws in the snaps are tight from time to time. 

The part that lets loose on my boat  is the snap clip to the windshield frame. Once air gets under the front of the cockpit cover, it is gone...

brick

1 hour ago, brick said:

The part that lets loose on my boat  is the snap clip to the windshield frame. Once air gets under the front of the cockpit cover, it is gone...

brick

I'm going to play dumb on this.  What is the snap clip to the windshield frame? Do you mean the plastic thing that holds the windshield shut and that the wind blows open the windshield?  What I will say is that much of my towing was done with vehicles that seem to do a good job of blocking the wind and making what seemed to be a dead spot over the bow.   They were suv's not trucks if that actually made a difference which I really am not sure. So then the bow cover would be pretty still and the cockpit cover that snapped to the bottom of the windshield frame, covering the whole windshield didn't get much wind either.  I only towed the first Chap way back when out of excitement and not knowing that the snap on cover wasn't meant for towing and so kept using it even once I realized it wasn't the correct style cover. 

7 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

I'm going to play dumb on this.  What is the snap clip to the windshield frame? Do you mean the plastic thing that holds the windshield shut and that the wind blows open the windshield?  What I will say is that much of my towing was done with vehicles that seem to do a good job of blocking the wind and making what seemed to be a dead spot over the bow.   They were suv's not trucks if that actually made a difference which I really am not sure. So then the bow cover would be pretty still and the cockpit cover that snapped to the bottom of the windshield frame, covering the whole windshield didn't get much wind either.  I only towed the first Chap way back when out of excitement and not knowing that the snap on cover wasn't meant for towing and so kept using it even once I realized it wasn't the correct style cover. 

The snap clip I am referring to is the stainless steel part that clips to the lower perimeter of the windshield frame. So when the cockpit cover comes loose, it takes the clip with it. I have installed the clips in both directions, (up/down) clip still pulls away. So I don't tow with the covers on.

i think the tow vehicle does play a part in wind turbulence. I tow with a standard length Expedition.

brick

It's just the snaps. Don't over thing the clip part. Male/Female parts ya know. 

He's referring to the female part of a snap in case you'r still cornfused  :)

I'm going to play dumb on this.  What is the snap clip to the windshield frame?

On some boats, like mine and I suppose yours, the male part is screwed in to the windshield frame. On other boats, like I suppose Brick's, the female part is riveted to a clip that clips to the frame. Hope this helps ...

BTW, I tow with mooring cover on and never had an issue. This might have to do with how the snaps are mounted (screw vs clip) and how the mooring cover fits and behaves under 70mph wind blowing over it.

I've never heard of a set up with the female part of the snap screwed to the boat. Not enough surface area to hold in the canvas if the male was on the cover. 

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

I've never heard of a set up with the female part of the snap screwed to the boat. Not enough surface area to hold in the canvas if the male was on the cover. 

Yes, you might be right about the gender but the real point here is the mount via screw direct to frame vs via clip or plug.

I would post s picture if PhotoBucket still worked...

Google TaylorMade Top-Lok Stainless Windshield Snaps.  That is the part that pulls away from the bottom of the windshield frame. Bye-bye cockpit cover...

brick

Yup, this is what I tried to describe ... here is a picture of Chap version from Cecil Marine site:

a20791e12d9b96a84c98b4_m__64704.14120321

These things can and will dislodge when a cover flops in wind.

1 minute ago, Richard W said:

Yup, this is what I tried to describe ... here is a picture of Chap version from Cecil Marine:

a20791e12d9b96a84c98b4_m__64704.14120321

Yup, that’s the clip.  

Thanks for the photo

brick

I've never seen one of those. Why not just screw it to the frame and make it secure. Or crimp the clips a little to make them hold better?

It clips to the frame tightly. Very neat installation, but not as strong as a screw-in. My buddies SeaRay uses the screw-in type, into the fiberglass below the windshield.  Dorsn’t look as good, but canvas stays put for towing. I really don’t need to tow with the covers on, so it’s not been an issue. 

brick