SST

F-150 question

13 posts in this topic

It appears that I have an exhaust leak as fumes were getting into the cabin. When I got home, I crawled underneath to look it over. While underneath, I came across this item [photo]. 

IMG_3177.jpg

There is one on each side of the truck. I spoke to the dealers parts guy he tells me they are bumpers between the frame and the truck bed. I showed him this picture. It appears to me that there are stress fractures. This doesn't look normal.....is it?

BTW: Thanks Denny for doing the research on this free photo posting site. Good to be back with pictures.

Looks like your bump stops are getting used a bit there.  Nothing to worry about, and a cheap fix.

I wouldn't even bring this up if it had 80k+ miles on it or if I beat the crap out of it. But it only has 33K and for the most part, sits quietly in the garage. Its due for an inspection in Dec. so I'll have it looked at for cost of replacement.

Thanks

I live in salt bath #$^% during the winter. 

After my brother passed away years ago, I had my car and then acquired his Bronco. I kept my car and also kept the Bronco in order to tow the boat.

The truck, on the outside, looked factory fresh. But underneath, corrosion #$^%. I treated the Bronco as a secondary vehicle and never used it during rain storms to keep moisture from effecting the underneath. As for the winter, I never drove it unless the roads were dry and clean. All this was to prevent further corrosion. The underneath was slowly pealing away in layers. It was getting bad! I nursed it for 7 years until the computer crapped out and a new one couldn't guarantee it would work. Traded it in for the 150.

As for the 150, it still remains as my secondary vehicle. Its primary use is to tow the boat. Because the trees in my backyard only grow leaves, not money, I don't have the cash flow to replace this truck. It has to last me a long long time. So I treat it as I did the Bronco. Keep it clean and dry. It has not seen a snow flake, salt or rain drop since Dec 2015.

If this were my only vehicle, I'd be out driving it around as an all weather vehicle.

I often wonder if this truck will make it to 200k miles.

3 hours ago, SST said:

With proper maintenance it should

I am always amazed at how much - and how quickly - road salt corrodes the underside of a vehicle.

brick

23 minutes ago, brick said:

I am always amazed at how much - and how quickly - road salt corrodes the underside of a vehicle.

brick

I'm fortunate and don't have to deal with that here in Southern California

2 minutes ago, Auggie said:

I'm fortunate and don't have to deal with that here in Southern California

I have lived in Georgia for decades, but originally from Quebec. I don't miss winter...

brick

I used to drive truck cross country and believe me it's nice not to have to face those winters neither of us are missing a #%^$&%$ thing when it comes to that

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:35 AM, SST said:

My 2005 F-350 lasted 10 years & 230K miles on it up here in NE weather, and I used it for heavy construction.  You should be fine if you take care of it.  One thing I did frequently in the winter was run it through the car wash and get the undercarriage wash.  That probably helped quite a bit.

Its gonna be a long time getting to 200K. Since Dec 2015, I've only put on 6K miles. If it keeps running as it does, it will likely outlast me.