SST

Canadian Bouy near Toronto

16 posts in this topic

For the past couple of years that I've been able to go boating in the Toronto area, I have always felt that there is a big gap in Buoys between Hamilton and Toronto. The Buoy that is near Hamilton is to close to the shoreline to make an accurate reading in regards to the remainder of the lake. The other reporting buoy near Ajax is to far east of Toronto and is to close to shore [better than nothing of course]. Wave height and wind direction are clearly the most important pieces of info. Lake Erie has the Port Colborne buoy which gives a good indication of what's going on out in the lake. Why not Lake Ontario?

But his year, I came across this buoy. I have no idea what its function is. Does this look familiar to anybody? Wave height reporting?  If so, anyway to get it hooked into the National Buoy Data Base?

IMG_3143.jpg

53 minutes ago, SST said:

But his year, I came across this buoy

Where did you come across it?

The only number I saw was E43. Its location is perhaps 1 or 2 miles [easterly] from Lake Front Promenade launch.

If it could record and broadcast wave height, its in the perfect location. As it is now, I have to look at several airports for winds to determine whether I should head out or not. I guess this is where "the learning curve" comes into play. Fortunately, Toronto Island Airport is right at the beach so getting a good wind report allows me to guess  what the wave height will be in the area. 

1 hour ago, SST said:

If it could record and broadcast wave height, its in the perfect location. As it is now, I have to look at several airports for winds to determine whether I should head out or not. I guess this is where "the learning curve" comes into play. Fortunately, Toronto Island Airport is right at the beach so getting a good wind report allows me to guess  what the wave height will be in the area. 

Try this

www.windy.com

This could be Canadian Weather buoy, they are often yellow (special purpose buoy) ... http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45155

Here are all Canadian Great Lakes buoys, keep in mind that some are taken away now before the waters freeze ... https://weather.gc.ca/marine/weatherConditions-currentConditions_e.html?mapID=11&siteID=08203&stationID=45012

Unfortunately, the station 45155 is not listed there. The example above, station 45012, is in the middle of Lake Ontario right on Can-USA border.

Hope this helps ...

1 hour ago, Richard W said:

This could be Canadian Weather buoy, they are often yellow (special purpose buoy) ... http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45155

Here are all Canadian Great Lakes buoys, keep in mind that some are taken away now before the waters freeze ... https://weather.gc.ca/marine/weatherConditions-currentConditions_e.html?mapID=11&siteID=08203&stationID=45012

Unfortunately, the station 45155 is not listed there. The example above, station 45012, is in the middle of Lake Ontario right on Can-USA border.

Hope this helps ...

45012 is nearly 110 miles east of Toronto so that doesn't help much.  Rochester boaters could benefit from it though.

45155 maybe the buoy that use to be near Toronto but has never been in service since I've started to go to Toronto and has always been marked red [out of service] on the map. This location would be great if it was active especially with wave height. 

But through the learning curve, I've learned that any winds hinting towards 15kts out of the NE through S is going to cause wave action not suitable for anchoring on the beach.

I've used windy.com frequently now because it includes airports in the region and other marine reporting stations that are not buoys. Like Long Point on Lake Erie. 

Thanks for the discussion.

3 hours ago, SST said:

45012 is nearly 110 miles east of Toronto so that doesn't help much.  Rochester boaters could benefit from it though.

That was just an example of still working buoy at this time of year. There are other buoys/stations still working, one near Ajax east of Toronto would be another example. There is a pull down list there.

The 45012 might show up on the Canadian site sometime early in April or after. This is the time when CCG buoy tenders get busy setting the nav aids back on the waters of Great Lakes.

It looks like a NOAA Weather buoy. We have a similar looking bouy here in Thunder Bay - Lake Huron, about 9 miles East of Alpena, Michigan. 

I thought the same thing but this doesn't have any wind direction or speed devices on it. Unless technology has really taken over and they are not needed in the traditional way.

I looked around the net, and the buoy in the picture does not look like anything like weather/marine observation buoy. The size, shape, and marking is unlike standard NOAA or Canadian weather/marine buoys. Here are the common US and Canadian buoys types:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/mooredbuoy.shtml

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/general-marine-weather-information/observations/buoy.html

Interesting ... is there a prize to win for finding out what that is? :D

We have some yellow buoys on the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers, and I was told that they are international buoys.  Denny.

Good lead Danny ... I have an idea ...

Let's put a tinfoil hat on one of them. Then wait and see who comes to fix it.