jid

Should I change prop on sunesta 232

38 posts in this topic

Doubling a car top speed. 4 times the horsepower is needed. Wind resistance is the major reason.

I have no idea if there is a ratio for boats that can fully get on a plane to double their speed.

15 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Doubling a car top speed. 4 times the horsepower is needed. Wind resistance is the major reason.

I have no idea if there is a ratio for boats that can fully get on a plane to double their speed.

all comes down to weight and design of hull as well.  water provides a lot of resistance.  thought I read somewhere, where it takes 10hp to get 1 mph faster past 50 or 55mph in a boat.  considering in poker run go fast boats 7-800hp is probably only netting you 70s or so.  takes a lot.

23 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

thought I read somewhere, where it takes 10hp to get 1 mph faster past 50 or 55mph in a boat.  

Sounds about right. My numbers came up with 70 HP for a 6 mph increase. Speed is expensive...

brick

Just now, brick said:

Sounds about right. My numbers came up with 70 HP for a 6 mph increase. Speed is expensive...

brick

But so is therapy.   This is definitely cheaper than drinking but not cheaper than my old racing habit.  

Reached out to the local AZ folks...interested to hear what they have going on with an ECU reprogram.

Just now, jid said:

But so is therapy.   This is definitely cheaper than drinking but not cheaper than my old racing habit.  

Reached out to the local AZ folks...interested to hear what they have going on with an ECU reprogram.

Let us know their response!

brick

40 minutes ago, brick said:

brick

also considering the cost per horse power is what 2-4k depending on what you do. 

33 minutes ago, Mi3sons said:

I was told to figure 1000 bucks for every mph faster you want to go. Sounds about right.

If interested, in order to get more power out of your 496 Mag, you can make it into an HO by installing different cam, sending ECM to Whipple, etc. for a reflash, and removing the restrictor plate in the throttle body.

1 hour ago, Shepherd1 said:

If interested, in order to get more power out of your 496 Mag, you can make it into an HO by installing different cam, sending ECM to Whipple, etc. for a reflash, and removing the restrictor plate in the throttle body.

If I go that far I would own a Baja or Velocity. I love going fast on land but I like to keep my boat as STOCK and reliable as possible. It's hard to get out and walk home with the crank broken and pistons shattered. Cobra power also has some nice drop in motors for 75k.

11 hours ago, Mi3sons said:

If I go that far I would own a Baja or Velocity. I love going fast on land but I like to keep my boat as STOCK and reliable as possible. It's hard to get out and walk home with the crank broken and pistons shattered. Cobra power also has some nice drop in motors for 75k.

very true.  Ive been on both sides of the go fast and your everyday family speed boat.  If you want to go fast you buy the boat that was built to do it, in so many ways a go fast boat is 100 times better in speed and handling, because its built that way.  Always look at these guys with the open bows and such trying to go fast like they are trying to soup up their moms old car at home, doesn't work.   Really want speed in boats its about bigger engines, blowers, manifolds, cams etc, anything else is silly

For me, the magic mark in a family runabout is about 50mph. I understand the OP wanting to get a few more mph’s out of his boat. I would, too...

brick

Soldier

You get the Fickle Finger of Fate Award.    :)

I tuned up the family 1950 Oldsmobile V8 to get more power. After my COMPLETE tune up at age 16 ??

It  did 7 mph & HEAVY BLACK SMOKE out the tail pipe.

Do you guys REALLY do anything I suggest ?:haha-7383:

We have gone off topic again but I do remember trying to get dad to put headers and side pipes on our 78 Caprice Classic station wagon. 350 4 barrel. Of course never happened.