Signature Rick

2011 Signature Faulty Gages

6 posts in this topic

HI! I got a used 2011 Signature a couple of weeks ago, all is good except the fuel gage, trim gage and speedo gage. The tachometer works fine and all gages move intermittently when key is turned to "on". All gages light up but constantly flicker. Tach flickers also, but always works as well as digital display beneath. During running, fuel, trim and speedo have no readout. I tried to jump the fuel sending unit in the bilge with key in "on" position but gage remains at empty. I looked behind the gage panel and all wires are intact, any thoughts? suggestions?

The tach should have a small screw on the back for 4,6 0r 8 cylinders, turn the screw back and forth a couple of times and then reset on the correct cylinder number.  Speedo could be a broken tube or not connected to pick up on back of boat or could be in the drive itself.  If you ground out the fuel sensor and no reading then gauge is bad I think.

5 hours ago, Signature Rick said:

HI! I got a used 2011 Signature a couple of weeks ago, all is good except the fuel gage, trim gage and speedo gage. The tachometer works fine and all gages move intermittently when key is turned to "on". All gages light up but constantly flicker. Tach flickers also, but always works as well as digital display beneath. During running, fuel, trim and speedo have no readout. I tried to jump the fuel sending unit in the bilge with key in "on" position but gage remains at empty. I looked behind the gage panel and all wires are intact, any thoughts? suggestions?

I don't now on the 2011 for sure but on my 2004 when I ripped off the gauges, I saw they were daisy chained, I guess if it is the case for you, the faulty one should be the first on the daisy chain ? Or it could be your blue canbus cable going from the helm to the engines, check if there is some moisture in the connector ? Or remove your gauges and take them to your dealer, he should be able to tell you if the gauges are ok. Just some ideas, good luck !

14 hours ago, Signature Rick said:

Pretty sure your boat will have the VeeThree SmartCraft gauges. In this case, the tachometer is the boss gauge, and most problems start and end there. Chaparral had a test kit for their dealers to use for diagnostics, but I typically found having a known working tachometer of the proper version to be the fastest test. Lights flickering is probably due to a loose connection. Connector type is Deutsch; can't recall the size.

Maybe some of the parameters have been turned off in settings for some reason?

Wiring colour guide to the best of my memory:

yellow is ground

blue is gauge lights

gray is tachometer

red is 12 volt power

white? (I don't recall)

Image result for veethree chaparral tachometer600_Veethree_Dual_Tachometer_6000_RPM_LCD_Display_Mecruiser_Inboard_780897SDFB.JPG

Image result for chaparral gauge set up

4 hours ago, Shepherd1 said:

Pretty sure your boat will have the VeeThree SmartCraft gauges. In this case, the tachometer is the boss gauge, and most problems start and end there. Chaparral had a test kit for their dealers to use for diagnostics, but I typically found having a known working tachometer of the proper version to be the fastest test. Lights flickering is probably due to a loose connection. Connector type is Deutsch; can't recall the size.

Maybe some of the parameters have been turned off in settings for some reason?

Wiring colour guide to the best of my memory:

yellow is ground

blue is gauge lights

gray is tachometer

red is 12 volt power

white? (I don't recall)

Image result for veethree chaparral tachometer600_Veethree_Dual_Tachometer_6000_RPM_LCD_Display_Mecruiser_Inboard_780897SDFB.JPG

That same gauge is used in the Volvos. At lest it look just like it!  I too have a 2011 Sig 290 with Volvos that use that same gauge. You can add a NMEA2k gateway if needed. One side of my tech is not working. They want 800, so for 175 I now read the RPMs from my GPS.

RED - 12v      Yellow - ground     White - can high   Light blue - can low   Purple- pass though (not sure but not needed for the gateway)

17 hours ago, Iggy said:

That same gauge is used in the Volvos. At lest it look just like it!  I too have a 2011 Sig 290 with Volvos that use that same gauge. You can add a NMEA2k gateway if needed. One side of my tech is not working. They want 800, so for 175 I now read the RPMs from my GPS.

RED - 12v      Yellow - ground     White - can high   Light blue - can low   Purple- pass though (not sure but not needed for the gateway)

You're right in that the Merc and Volvo gauges look the exact same. Do use different languages though, so going with old part number is pretty critical.