john riesbeck

Mercruise interface to Garmin 741 xs

5 posts in this topic

What you need to do is  create an NMEA 2000 network. You're motor and your Garmin need to have NMEA connectors.  Google NMEA 2000 and you'll find plenty of info.

I’ve recently done this on my Mercruiser 6.2 V8 (replacement for the MAG350) on a Chap 246ssi - it takes quite a few components to do but is relatively straight forward once you have worked out your current configuration (you may already have the Mercury junction box fitted which will make it a lot simpler),

Basically you need to buy a Mercury NMEA2000 gateway (p/n 8M0105243) and the components needed to form an NMEA2000 network - you may already have this but if not there are NM2k starter kits readily available that provide all the cables, connectors and terminators.

The Mercury gateway input needs to go to the engines connector, if you already have the mercury junction box fitted it will simply plug in there, if not you’ll need to buy a junction box and the Mercury cable which connects direct to the engine.

The other side of the Mercury gateway connects to one end of your NMEA network, and the other end of the NMEA network is connected to the Garmin 741 NMEA socket (and to 12v).

Hope that helps, your configuration will ultimately depend on what engine, what network is already installed so if you can tell me a bit more about your current setup I might be able to provide a few pointers (also some had scribbled drawings around somewhere from when I did mine)

I have installed a j1939 gateway to Nmea2k network. But I have Volvos, is took about 10 minutes to do. The hard part was getting the color code for the tech gauge.