Amar Nanduri

Can a 250 or 270 signature make a Bimini crossing?

5 posts in this topic

Hi. I currently own a Yamaha ar240 Jetboat and am planning to upgrade to a Chapparal signature 250 or 270 possibly 2007-2008 year. I have already started looking around for a boat and my family wants the signature in order to spend overnight in the boat and enjoy the weekends more. I have made the Bimini Bahamas 2017 crossing on my Yamaha and it was rough on the boat. I plan to make the crossing again in 2018. My question is whether the hull will be strong enough to withstand the crossing without breaking up or getting damaged. This will be my first prop boat and your feedback is greatly appreciate. 

Best

Amar

Yes and no. On a good weather day, no problem. On a bad weather day, who knows. I would travel in a group, regardless of boat size.

brick

On 12/1/2017 at 9:12 PM, Amar Nanduri said:

Hi. I currently own a Yamaha ar240 Jetboat and am planning to upgrade to a Chapparal signature 250 or 270 possibly 2007-2008 year. I have already started looking around for a boat and my family wants the signature in order to spend overnight in the boat and enjoy the weekends more. I have made the Bimini Bahamas 2017 crossing on my Yamaha and it was rough on the boat. I plan to make the crossing again in 2018. My question is whether the hull will be strong enough to withstand the crossing without breaking up or getting damaged. This will be my first prop boat and your feedback is greatly appreciate. 

Best

Amar

The Chap will feel a lot better than your AR, and can handle much bigger and rougher water. But as Brick alluded to, you have to pick good weather window.  If you cross with your Yammi buddies you will be more comfortable then they will be.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:12 PM, Amar Nanduri said:

Best

Amar

Piece of cake!  Yes, it was a rough day when we took our 250 to Bimini this past June (3-4 footers), but the boat did just fine.  On a calmer day it would be a fantastic ride.  Yes, we would like a bigger boat, but anything larger would be too difficult to trailer from Texas to Lauderdale.  If you're already on the coast, go bigger if you can.  But to answer your question....Yes.