Amar Nanduri

Thoughts on a windlass anchor

4 posts in this topic

I have heard that it is not recommended to get a windlass automatic anchor for a Signature for a boat frequently used in the Chesapeake bay or in areas having 2-3 foot waves. The argument against it is that due to the constant movement of the bow the anchor might smash into the boat and damage the hull, compared to a manual anchor that resides in the anchor locker.  Is this true ?

Me and my wife are debating on whether we should get an automatic anchor for the signature or stick to a manual one  

Best

Amar

I would say no. I boat in the Boston area and for me, hitting 2 to 3 foorters happens 3 to 4 time a year if not more. Never had a problem with the anchor. First off, your anchor should be snug against the bow roller. So there sould be no movement.  Thats were I would keep it windless or not. It make for easy use and if something happen (engine quits or...) I want to be able to deploy it quickly. If your in rough seas, do you really want to be pulling your anchor out of the locker. Not me!

Also, keep in mind that if you use a windless. There should be a safety cable attached to the anchor so it can not deploy on its own. 

I added a windlass to my boat this past Spring and love it.  Makes anchoring so much easier.  We boat in the upper Chesapeake Bay and had to no issues with the anchor hitting the hull.  We don't go out in 3+ foot waves but the windlass lowers it quickly so I doubt you'll have problems.