huhner

Considering an upgrade and need some help!

37 posts in this topic

I currently have a 2001 230 SSI.  Love it, but my wife has given me the go ahead to look for an upgrade!  Yeah BABY! Like I said, I love it and want something similar but bigger and possibly a cuddy.  I live on the St. Croix river in WI and it is a great spot to chill for the whole weekend on a boat....with a larger boat we would probably do a slip on the river.  We currently trailer our boat and I am not sure if we do a cuddy or not....I would sleep on there but not sure if my wife would!  I was looking at the 310 Signature or the 290 Signature.  Anyone have any thoughts on what boat to upgrade to and what year is the best?  Looking to spend around 60K.   My wants would be a larger back end for entertaining, a grill(which can be added) with a bathroom and larger than the one I have to handle the wakes on the river.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! 

Great reason for the 2 of you to go to Florida & check out lots of in water boats.   NOW 

Then you will both know what to buy  BEFORE next boating season.. 

Piece of cake.  :)

I think the big question is if you want a generator and A/C.  That will dictate the minimum size boat.

brick

Many options depending on what you plan on doing on the boat.  Cyclops has  a point in trying to go and see many boats to understand what is out there and checking out various layouts.  Its hard to do that in the northern states until spring.  Though you may get lucky and find some for sale locally that have access (stored inside or have doors installed in shrink wrapping).   Getting to the 30' length starts to get into boats that you can stay on pretty comfortably for a couple.  We stay on ours several days at a time with our teenage daughter and large dog.  Our experience was also going from a 21' cuddy to Signature 300.  We made the choice to go with express cruiser to stay on it for a few days at a time, and to take out to various outings.  

Thanks all.  Brick to your point I would guess if we would stay on it and go to a longer destination we would want AC and a Generator.  From what I can see the 2900 Signatures have this.  

On 12/2/2017 at 6:11 PM, huhner said:

I currently have a 2001 230 SSI.  Love it, but my wife has given me the go ahead to look for an upgrade!  Yeah BABY! Like I said, I love it and want something similar but bigger and possibly a cuddy.  I live on the St. Croix river in WI and it is a great spot to chill for the whole weekend on a boat....with a larger boat we would probably do a slip on the river.  We currently trailer our boat and I am not sure if we do a cuddy or not....I would sleep on there but not sure if my wife would!  I was looking at the 310 Signature or the 290 Signature.  Anyone have any thoughts on what boat to upgrade to and what year is the best?  Looking to spend around 60K.   My wants would be a larger back end for entertaining, a grill(which can be added) with a bathroom and larger than the one I have to handle the wakes on the river.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! 

I have a 290, great weekend boat. At times we do go away for a week and the 290 gets a little small. Plus were limited on how much water we can carry. I think it comes down to, what are you planning to do? What type of trips and how long? When the Wife see hot water and a real head, I think she will change her mind.

I have a 310, 2013.

We have gone away for 7 days and have been relatively comfortable.

We store cases of water in the storage locker in the cabin, more than 2 adults would get crowded for an overnight.

If we go away with another couple, they stay in a hotel and we split the bills.

There are only two of us, if you do come down to florida we will, take you for a ride.

Just to be clear, when I say water. I am talking about taking showers. My 290 has a 25 gal tank. I am sure that the 310 is 35 gals plus. Which for us, is at least 2 to 3 showers more. If we take Navy showers, right now we could get 4 showers each and some dish-washing done.

We rarely stay on the anchor,my wife likes to be able to step off the boat.

As we hose off after swimming to get salt off, I would imagine I dont have much more than 2 showers and some dishwashing done.

Sig 310 from 2010 and Sig 290 before 2010 are both 30.8 ft long by 10 ft wide.

I would say it is a matter of taste between those 2. I upgraded my Sig 270 2007 for a 290 2004 a year ago and there is nothing to regret about it, plenty of space with 2 kids and 2 dogs. I keep in mind that it is not like at home... I just wanted to be able to fully stand up in the cabin and the bathroom, the Sig 290 allow me to do that. If you are brave enough you could even think to tow your boat (with the right truck and trailer), I am towing it, but bigger would raise the stress level a bit too much which is why the 290 is the perfect choice for me.

About water tank, I agree with Iggy, the one in the 290 is really small, I just installed a bypass to be able to have unlimited water when at the dock (just plug the hose on the boat and you are like at home, it is really cheap and easy to do btw), when I am away, I do as Jeffk said, I just take extra cases of water.

You can't go wrong with either of these 2 boats ;). Good luck !

It all depends what you want. When we go away, were on a mooring or in a slip. So we bring the inflatable or they have a launch service. Its not uncommon for us to be on the hook for a day or two and than rent a slip. 

Iggy has the foresight about Food & water............ Maybe toilet paper also. 

BUG stopping Screens can be a mandatory item. ALL gaskets fully sealing.  It will be a cramped motel on water. Low head room is a MAJOR problem in some cruisers.  Also make sure the bedroom you like has PLENTY OF AC into it.............. I like a bow bedroom. More airflow options.

MUST HAVE A FANTASTIC TOILET FOR MEN & WOMAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Philbo is right.  But most of all think about how you want to use it.  My boat year / model will come close to your budget.  If you can find it during the winter ( survey and sea trial contingent) it is a great time to buy.  Sellers tend to be extra motivated to be free.  We love ours and spend most weekends on her in a slip.  We've not overnighted on the hook because we don't have protected anchorages within a reasonable distance so the lack of a gennie was not a deal buster.  Longest we've spent is 10 days, and the only reason it wasn't longer is I'm not independently wealthy.  Water usage is not really an issue for us.  We take water conserving showers so I doubt we use more than about 2 gallons to do the job.  Wet, lather, rinse.  Normally though we shower at the land head.  Good luck.

On 12/4/2017 at 0:40 PM, jeffk said:

I have a 310, 2013.

We have gone away for 7 days and have been relatively comfortable.

We store cases of water in the storage locker in the cabin, more than 2 adults would get crowded for an overnight.

If we go away with another couple, they stay in a hotel and we split the bills.

There are only two of us, if you do come down to florida we will, take you for a ride.

awesome...will keep that in mind!!  Thanks

22 hours ago, Exoset said:

Sig 310 from 2010 and Sig 290 before 2010 are both 30.8 ft long by 10 ft wide.

I would say it is a matter of taste between those 2. I upgraded my Sig 270 2007 for a 290 2004 a year ago and there is nothing to regret about it, plenty of space with 2 kids and 2 dogs. I keep in mind that it is not like at home... I just wanted to be able to fully stand up in the cabin and the bathroom, the Sig 290 allow me to do that. If you are brave enough you could even think to tow your boat (with the right truck and trailer), I am towing it, but bigger would raise the stress level a bit too much which is why the 290 is the perfect choice for me.

About water tank, I agree with Iggy, the one in the 290 is really small, I just installed a bypass to be able to have unlimited water when at the dock (just plug the hose on the boat and you are like at home, it is really cheap and easy to do btw), when I am away, I do as Jeffk said, I just take extra cases of water.

You can't go wrong with either of these 2 boats ;). Good luck !

Good to know on the sizes.. I didn't know that.  I have a GMC 1500 2017 with Tow package...I think I can go to 10k lbs.  I could trailer as I am about a mile from the launch.  

14 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Iggy has the foresight about Food & water............ Maybe toilet paper also. 

BUG stopping Screens can be a mandatory item. ALL gaskets fully sealing.  It will be a cramped motel on water. Low head room is a MAJOR problem in some cruisers.  Also make sure the bedroom you like has PLENTY OF AC into it.............. I like a bow bedroom. More airflow options.

MUST HAVE A FANTASTIC TOILET FOR MEN & WOMAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

8 minutes ago, huhner said:

Good to know on the sizes.. I didn't know that.  I have a GMC 1500 2017 with Tow package...I think I can go to 10k lbs.  I could trailer as I am about a mile from the launch.  

You should seriously think about upgrading the truck if you go to a Sig 290-310.  A 1/2 ton is NOT a sufficient platform to pull a Sig290 or larger, with trailer, full tank of fuel, water tank, gear, etc.

25 minutes ago, huhner said:

remember that 10k is sort of a misnomer.  You  can potentially tow 10k with a half ton but usually it means you all by your self and not even a soda bottle riding shotgun.  When I say this I mean technically per the specs and legally.  A few miles youll be fine but long trips I would be thinking about a different tow rig.

What you have to look at really is payload, youll bust that before youll get to 10k.  most half tons payload is between 1500-2000lb.  Payload is everything put into or on the truck after factory, bed caps, people, dogs, bags, tool boxes, etc.  And you also have to include tongue weight which is usually10-12% of your load.  10k boat and trailer has probably over 1000lbs of tongue weight.  For most half tons that leaves you 500 maybe 1000 for everything else, not much when you figure two adults are 400lbs usually.  with that said be smart.  Short trips no problem.  But realistically most half tons on the market can technically and legally tow around 7-8klbs with everything factored, regardless of these 10-12k figures they advertise. 

3 hours ago, huhner said:

As said already ... think about it.

IMO, the 270 short distance no big deal, the 290 or 310 any distance no way.

My 2016 F-150 3.5EB with max tow package is rated at 11,500 lbs, and I would not even try to tow 290 or 310. Hope your launch ramp has a very low grade and is well maintained.

BRAKES BRAKES.  You need perfect brakes to do MAXED OUT towing.  Used or new makes no difference. If a trailer brake wheel does not work ?  The tow vehicle MUS ? will have to pick up the failed load part.

In 80 years of life . I   HAVE screwed up royally on towing with overloaded setups.........Dumb arse  luck saved my family. Not my reckless attitude of . We HAVE TO GO TODAY.

3 hours ago, huhner said:

As well, 290 from 2010 is 29 ft long by 9.6 ft wide and 310 before 2010 is 33.4 ft long by 10.7 ft wide. Those numbers are usefull when you are on the market of pocket cruisers. Towing those kind of boat will require a 2500/250 for short distances and bigger if you go on long trips like me ;). All advices above are good ones, if you want to keep your truck and want to tow your boat, the Sig 270 before 2010 (bigger) or from 2010 (smaller) is the best choice. Without the kids, I would have keep mine I guess.

Go for the biggest boat you can afford if you want to do over nights on it.  

For towing, just stay within the tow limits of your vehicle.  And don't forget to consider over wide permits for your state and maybe a non-commercial class A for the weight of your boat and trailer.  

Good luck on your search and post pics if you are successful on your upgrade.  

You'll be overloaded but if only a mile at low speeds you'll be fine. Just don't hit anything because your insurance will deny the claim if they find out you were overloaded. Go slow and move it in off hours. 

Considering the tow aspect, bear in mind that most truck towing maximums are given using a weight distribution hitch. Not many boat trailers are easily compatible with a WDH. I personally would not tow it with a half ton truck, but if you do equip the trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes. That size boat could pull your truck into the water on a steep ramp.