huhner

Considering an upgrade and need some help!

37 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Chap243 said:

Considering the tow aspect, bear in mind that most truck towing maximums are given using a weight distribution hitch. Not many boat trailers are easily compatible with a WDH. I personally would not tow it with a half ton truck, but if you do equip the trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes. That size boat could pull your truck into the water on a steep ramp.

Nahh its more about braking and handling at speed.  Chances are if a boat is going to pull a half ton in it will pull a 3/4 ton in the drink too.  3/4 ton gas trucks don't weigh that much more of have any bigger engines really than half ton trucks.  Bigger trucks get their advantage at speed.  Around the driveway or the ramp youll find little different between a half ton and a 3/4

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

Nahh its more about braking and handling at speed.  Chances are if a boat is going to pull a half ton in it will pull a 3/4 ton in the drink too.  3/4 ton gas trucks don't weigh that much more of have any bigger engines really than half ton trucks.  Bigger trucks get their advantage at speed.  Around the driveway or the ramp youll find little different between a half ton and a 3/4

I was generally referring to the ability of the EOH system to apply brakes to the boat trailer while going down a ramp in reverse. A 310 sig is a big heavy boat.

5 minutes ago, Chap243 said:

I was generally referring to the ability of the EOH system to apply brakes to the boat trailer while going down a ramp in reverse. A 310 sig is a big heavy boat.

Well, to be honest, I always unplug lights and EOH when launching the boat, I don't like the Idea of electricty in the water :)

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:14 AM, Chap243 said:

fair enough and agree.  Realistically 31ft boats arent hauled around that much, really no economical or feasible to be a trailer boat all of the time.  Once a year, and or short miles I think the half ton will be fine.

15 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

fair enough and agree.  Realistically 31ft boats are hauled around that much, really no economical or feasible to be a trailer boat all of the time.  One a year, and or short miles I think the half ton will be fine.

Most likely a 3/4 ton would be needed. I have a Sig 290 that come in at 9500lbs dry, a trailer is another 2000lbs if not more. Than the gear, fuel, water.... You are going to hit 12,000lbs. to 12,500lbs  Now, if your going down and more so up the ramp, the strain/load on the truck is going to be higher. 

Really, what could go wrong?

5 hours ago, Iggy said:

Most likely a 3/4 ton would be needed. I have a Sig 290 that come in at 9500lbs dry, a trailer is another 2000lbs if not more. Than the gear, fuel, water.... You are going to hit 12,000lbs. to 12,500lbs  Now, if your going down and more so up the ramp, the strain/load on the truck is going to be higher. 

Really, what could go wrong?

I agree if its mile from time to time and its being used to pull it in and out a few time a year, youll be fine.  Like I said that 3/4 ton truck is providing little more than a 1/2 ton at the ramp, its not much heavier and if its a gas 3/4 ton it doesn't really have any more power.  At the ramp if its going to pull your 1/2 ton it will pull your 3/4ton in flat out.  Like I also said boats like this are better off left at the dock.

48 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

I agree if its mile from time to time and its being used to pull it in and out a few time a year, youll be fine.  Like I said that 3/4 ton truck is providing little more than a 1/2 ton at the ramp, its not much heavier and if its a gas 3/4 ton it doesn't really have any more power.  At the ramp if its going to pull your 1/2 ton it will pull your 3/4ton in flat out.  Like I also said boats like this are better off left at the dock.

I hope that 3/4 has more power or its just geared differently which is most likely. My 290 goes in mid-May and out mid-October. Its just too heavy to tow.

28 minutes ago, Iggy said:

I hope that 3/4 has more power or its just geared differently which is most likely. My 290 goes in mid-May and out mid-October. Its just too heavy to tow.

Like Iggy says, get a slip.  Here in Virgina we leave our Signatures in the water year round.  Also, the marina may have a service available to pull and store your boat for the winter.  

Please remember a diesel powered 3/4 ton is much heavier than a half ton. And with 4wd much more capable of launching and retreiving a larger vessel

4 hours ago, Iggy said:

Not really if you look at the ford line for instance the gas 3/4 ton is rated at 385hp/ 430 torque with 3.73 gearing, but does have a 4.30 option.  The F150 5.0 liter is rated 395hp/400 torque, with the EB engine pushing 375hp/470 torque also have an optional EB HO with 450hp and 510 torque all with 3.73 gearing.  Diesel 3/4 ton no match.  Gas 3/4 all its got is a heavier frame which will help in at speed towing, no benefit the ramp.  At the ramp gas to gas you aren't getting anything.

Kind of my pet peeve is a lot of people really don't understand what their tow vehicle can or cant do, they see things like diesel, 3/4 ton, or a 12k towing capacity and make assumptions.

7 minutes ago, Auggie said:

Please remember a diesel powered 3/4 ton is much heavier than a half ton. And with 4wd much more capable of launching and retreiving a larger vessel

Agreed a diesel powered 3/4 or 1 ton is in a different league, their gasoline powered brothers not so much.   But I would say if you compare a 2018 half ton to a late 90s or early 2000s diesel 3/4 ton and go spec by spec, they would be pretty evenly matched.

I have a 2005 Sig 290, great boat.  Very well designed.  This model was 2005 boat of the year on some magazine.  More interior room than comparable other manufacturers, and has a walk thru windshield for safety.   

Im not an expert on the 310s.

Go in a 290 and see where you and the Admiral would like to sleep.  If you like the aft berth, great, its huge.  If you prefer the forward V berth, lay down and see how comfortable it is.  The 310 has a different forward berth I think, more of a bed, though you lose that big forward table from the 290 for cards, etc.

Get a slip.  

1500 is a no go for towing.  However, you may have a friend with a bigger truck for those times you need to move it.  Or you may be able to rent a 3/4 ton truck from Enterprise Commercial, Ive done this.   Call Boat US for free permit advice for your state.  Check your insurance.