Randy Cherry

1997 Chapparal Sunesta 232

17 posts in this topic

My boat has a Mercuriser 3000 throttle control unit. The push button is stuck and will not allow the gear handle to move forward or to reverse while in neutral. Does anyone know how to correct this problem? If not, where could I purchase a rebuilt unit?

Thank you,

Randy

Quicksilver Remote Control Panel Mount 8M0011213Mercury/Quicksilver Parts Rem.Cont.Pnlmt Mc&o/B NO PT ** 883710A01Does yours look like either of these?

I went on the internet and entered this on the web search ( Mercuriser 3000 throttle control unit) and these came up.

If these are not it, at the top of the page, click on images and scroll down until you see the one that looks like yours, click on it and then click on visit. The page will open up to who posted it. Usually it will be a vendor that has it. Good luck, you are looking for a 20 year part. It is more then likely a reproduced part and may not be built as good as original equipment. I would ask them. You might also check E-bay, or a used boat parts yard, maybe a Mercury dealer will have one lying around in the back room, or ask them if the model was super seeded to a newer model, they do that all the time in the automotive industry.

Did you try taking yours apart to see why it is sticking?  Denny.

If it's a push button I would guess it has some type of spring in it that has collapsed, rusted or broke, other than replacing you may have to remove it to disassemble it to get to the back of the button

Hate to be the bearer of the bad news, but the 3000 was known for having major sticking issues.  Some were even recalled back then.  You may be able to get some WD40 in there to unstick it.  Rebuilding the unit is really hard.  I tried.  On my 98 sunesta I got tired of messing with it and replaced it with a Seastar CP1752P.  That was 400 bucks on amazon I didn’t want to spend but it was a direct replacement without having to change the cables.   I had to widen the hole slightly that the current shifter was in but that only took some patience and some drill bits.  Happy to answer questions on it if you decide to tackle it.   Really wasn’t hard at all. 

if you screw up the “neutral button” on the shifter, I have a couple spares that I don’t need so just send me your address and I’ll mail you one.  I bought a few spares on eBay before I changed to the Seastar and so they aren’t doing anything but collecting dust.  If I can find them.

Google for quicksilver classic 3000 problems and you will have lots to read for a while.  

Good luck!

Never was a fan of the earlier Commander 3000 controls from Mercury. If the problem is indeed the shifter, I HIGHLY recommend the following:

MerCruiser Gen II shifter with chrome handle (same as is finally used in 2012 Chaparral MerCruiser powered SSi boats)

MerCruiser part # 8M0030551

Going from this style shifter:

boatjune08055.jpg

Image result for 8M0030551

MerCruiser Gen II Premium shift and throttle cables

MerCruiser part # 8M0082537 is a 14' Gen II cable. If you need a 13' cable, you would order 8M0082536.  Current length in feet of the cables should be stamped on the shrouding) i.e. Generally shift on a MerCruiser is 1' shorter than the throttle cable.

The Gen II style shifters are much smoother to operate than the older styles. When you move the handle, the cables don't move outside of the remote control - all movement is completed inside the box. This means bulkheads, etc. can be resting on the cables, with no real detriment to shift and throttle cable movement. In short, if the boat was mine, and the shifter and remote control cables were the problem, this is what I would install in their place.

Some light modifications may be required for mounting, but we're talking drilling or filing holes in the plywood in different places or slightly larger and perhaps cutting some vinyl in a few spots with an exacto knife.  Did this same project on our own boat, and was very glad I did it.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, Denny said:

Quicksilver Remote Control Panel Mount 8M0011213Mercury/Quicksilver Parts Rem.Cont.Pnlmt Mc&o/B NO PT ** 883710A01Does yours look like either of these?

I went on the internet and entered this on the web search ( Mercuriser 3000 throttle control unit) and these came up.

If these are not it, at the top of the page, click on images and scroll down until you see the one that looks like yours, click on it and then click on visit. The page will open up to who posted it. Usually it will be a vendor that has it. Good luck, you are looking for a 20 year part. It is more then likely a reproduced part and may not be built as good as original equipment. I would ask them. You might also check E-bay, or a used boat parts yard, maybe a Mercury dealer will have one lying around in the back room, or ask them if the model was super seeded to a newer model, they do that all the time in the automotive industry.

Denny,

Thank you for all your good suggestions.

Randy

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:06 AM, jid said:

Hate to be the bearer of the bad news, but the 3000 was known for having major sticking issues.  Some were even recalled back then.  You may be able to get some WD40 in there to unstick it.  Rebuilding the unit is really hard.  I tried.  On my 98 sunesta I got tired of messing with it and replaced it with a Seastar CP1752P.  That was 400 bucks on amazon I didn’t want to spend but it was a direct replacement without having to change the cables.   I had to widen the hole slightly that the current shifter was in but that only took some patience and some drill bits.  Happy to answer questions on it if you decide to tackle it.   Really wasn’t hard at all. 

if you screw up the “neutral button” on the shifter, I have a couple spares that I don’t need so just send me your address and I’ll mail you one.  I bought a few spares on eBay before I changed to the Seastar and so they aren’t doing anything but collecting dust.  If I can find them.

Google for quicksilver classic 3000 problems and you will have lots to read for a while.  

Good luck!

Thanks for the good suggestions!

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:15 PM, Auggie said:

If it's a push button I would guess it has some type of spring in it that has collapsed, rusted or broke, other than replacing you may have to remove it to disassemble it to get to the back of the button

Yes, I found a video that shows how to remove the pushbutton with a screw driver.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, Denny said:

The (2) above are similar, but are not the Mercruiser 3000. I probably will need to purchase a replacement unit.

Thanks

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:28 AM, Shepherd1 said:

Never was a fan of the earlier Commander 3000 controls from Mercury. If the problem is indeed the shifter, I HIGHLY recommend the following:

MerCruiser Gen II shifter with chrome handle (same as is finally used in 2012 Chaparral MerCruiser powered SSi boats)

MerCruiser part # 8M0030551

Going from this style shifter:

boatjune08055.jpg

Image result for 8M0030551

MerCruiser Gen II Premium shift and throttle cables

MerCruiser part # 8M0082537 is a 14' Gen II cable. If you need a 13' cable, you would order 8M0082536.  Current length in feet of the cables should be stamped on the shrouding) i.e. Generally shift on a MerCruiser is 1' shorter than the throttle cable.

The Gen II style shifters are much smoother to operate than the older styles. When you move the handle, the cables don't move outside of the remote control - all movement is completed inside the box. This means bulkheads, etc. can be resting on the cables, with no real detriment to shift and throttle cable movement. In short, if the boat was mine, and the shifter and remote control cables were the problem, this is what I would install in their place.

Some light modifications may be required for mounting, but we're talking drilling or filing holes in the plywood in different places or slightly larger and perhaps cutting some vinyl in a few spots with an exacto knife.  Did this same project on our own boat, and was very glad I did it.

Sheperd1, Thank you for the MerCruiser replacement cat no. I will probably have to go ahead and get this one or the Seastar.

39 minutes ago, Randy Cherry said:

Sheperd1, Thank you for the MerCruiser replacement cat no. I will probably have to go ahead and get this one or the Seastar.

Good move. The Shift/Throttle is one of a boat’s most important systems. Time for an upgrade...

brick

9 hours ago, Randy Cherry said:

Denny,

Thank you for all your good suggestions.

Randy

They are reproductions, that is why they are similar looking. They were listed as Mercury, got to love the internet.

My shifter from 1985 still works and looks good.

13 hours ago, gunfall said:

One guy here who brought his truck for new tires and power running board installation mentioned about the Commander 3000 controls acting up. We'll take a look at it and might recommend those Mercurisers.

How much do they pay for spamming these days?

My 98 is identical.   Can’t recommend the seastar replacement enough.  Had the boat out yesterday and the shifter is soooooo smooth.  Plus it adds an updated look to the interior.