MR. White Boot's

97 Chaparral Signature-25

10 posts in this topic

I have a chance to purchase a 97 signature-25 anyone know what the going rate is on this type of boat and year model  Also any problem spots I should look for when inspecting the boat? The boat has been out of the water and sitting on the trailer since 05. The motor turns over but I did not try to start it for fear of bad gas The current owner just want's the boat gone out of his drive way and shot a price of xxxx at me Any input on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks 

I have a 1996 model with 7.4 Bravo III, love everything about the boat, really no problems at all except normal wear items.  I did recently replace my reverse cycle a/c and heat.  My biggest concern would be that it has sat so long, depends on a lot of variables.  As far as price, sounds good but really needs a lot of preventive maintenance and how handy you are.

Just bear in mind, that with anything sitting that long, even if put up properly, you will need to service everything.  It is a project.  Certainly all fluids will need changed.  A full tune up will be needed, Plugs, Wires cap, rotor, etc.  Every rubber part will need replaced, belts, hoses, fuel lines, impeller, exhaust and shift bellows, exhaust flappers, etc.  The carb, and maybe the fuel pump will need to be rebuilt.  Then there's all of the other stuff like the head, a/c, generator, lighting, wiring, etc.  And, lets not forget the trailer which will need tires bearings, brakes, wiring and what not.  Also be sure to check for rot.  Check everywhere.  Check floors, stringers, engine mounts, everything.  I'm not trying to scare you.  I'm just hoping to help you think of some of the challenges and work that this deal presents.  I'd start with the value of a similar boat that has been properly maintained, and was used last season.  From there I would start deducting some of the costs that you will be facing and see where you end up. 

You will likely spend $10K on maintenance to get it back up and running. More if it has mechanical issues. 

brick

OK I want to start by saying thanks to all that replied to this topic. it is good to have a place to turn to and  get other perspective and thoughts . I grew up in southeast Louisiana and have been around boats all my life  just not the sport or pleasure type as this is. Well any way after further inspection of the boat the sun has taken it's toll on most of the out side upholstery would have to be redone. The hull looks to be in good shape on the bottom side but the top side will have to be cleaned just to see if any repairs are needed. So for sure this would be a long and involved project. So with that being said I decided that this boat was B.E.R. That is Beyond Economical Repair so I left a message with the owner that if he just wanted the boat gone that I would hall it off for him free of charge. Again thanks for the input on this topic . May your next port of call be a safe and good one

I think if you were patient and scoured Craigslist, boat trader, etc. That you would find something that wouldn't need near as much attention and soften the initial blow of a purchase.  I've seen some pretty decent deals from time to time. We got ours off Craigslist. I live close to Los Angeles and we drove over to Vegas to buy this, I scanned craigslist and some other places for 3 months until I finally found this and it was worth the trip.

We started our search about this time last year and bought in February so it can be worth the wait. Good luck to you,

Auggie

yes did you get the boat. 

I have a 1997 signature310 and it sat on the trailer for 7 years. I have almost finished getting it going after replacing all the cooling systems etc. The engines were in good condition and I didn't need to pull them down but as someone posted rebuilt fuel systems and plugs impellers etc. 

Problem at moment with electrical system . I may be calling out for help soon.