Chap Sig 276

shore power cord vs. 110 extension cord

19 posts in this topic

For mainly running the battery charger, when boat is at dock or on dry rack, can I get by using just an extension cord, or should i always be using the larger shore power cord?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

perfectly fine to use a heavy 12 gauge extension cord with shore power adapter if you are only leaving on the battery charger. I do it every year. no issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SHOCKS  are the only concern I would have during a heavy rainstorm. Maybe a cut covering of the cord.   With bare feet walking in water next the power cord.

The MARINE power cord is best for every reason possible. I was zapped when picking up a friends EXTENSION cords that he was loaning me.  The socket in the middle was very old with a crack to the HOT PINS & the NEUTRAL PINS. Bad & good luck.  I replaced it free of charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Household 15A extension ... you can make it work.

The onboard charger, if it is same/similar to one on my boat, can draw up to 20A.

You can make it right and use 30A shore power cord connected to 30A outlet.

In the 99.9% cases the end results will be the same.

FWIW, the bigger charger on Sig 330 is probably rated at 30A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big problem here is that your using a 15 amp cord that is protected by a 30 amp breaker. For intermittent use is one thing and your present. So the cord melts, causing a fire and the breaker may never trip. Remember too, these breaker end up getting stiff or hard to switch off and on due to the outside exposure. So it may take more more amps to trip it.   

In most marinas, it is against the rules to do this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any problems caused by using an incorrect cord become yours, would hate to see a fire started because of this.  The problem is you could end up destroying others  boats which none of us want to do.  I would either use the proper cord or discontinue the use of an extension cord, they can fail for a number of reasons.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I've had my boat, I've used the adapted extension cord. I'm only using it while I'm there. Disconnect when I'm not.

It just occurred to me that I may have to change my cord. The new slip I'm going into this coming season has electricity but not the standard shore power pedestal. Therefore it may not have the standard shore power plug.  Convert the conversion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SST said:

Since I've had my boat, I've used the adapted extension cord. I'm only using it while I'm there. Disconnect when I'm not.

It just occurred to me that I may have to change my cord. The new slip I'm going into this coming season has electricity but not the standard shore power pedestal. Therefore it may not have the standard shore power plug.  Convert the conversion.

Than it should have a 20 amp GFI outlet than. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Iggy said:

The big problem here is that your using a 15 amp cord that is protected by a 30 amp breaker. For intermittent use is one thing and your present. So the cord melts, causing a fire and the breaker may never trip. Remember too, these breaker end up getting stiff or hard to switch off and on due to the outside exposure. So it may take more more amps to trip it.   

In most marinas, it is against the rules to do this. 

The charger will draw about 3 amps AC current to produce 20 amps of DC current at 12 volts, so the extension cord is well within the operating limit. This issue as stated above is that the shore power breaker is 30 amp which the extension cord can't handle. So on a short, the breaker will likely trip and all is fine. But if the charger failed and started to draw 25 amps AC let's say, the breaker won't trip but that extension cord could start a fire by melting the insulation from overheating. Can the charger fail like that? Don't know, do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd make sure everything is wired correctly for a various reasons. Your safety and the safety of the people around you. Below is an interesting read and you will see that if there is a fire that impacts you / boats around you / and the marina it is on your insurance / nickel and I would hate to think of what would happen if there was a fatality

.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your 30amp breaker is feeding your 110v breaker panel.  On that panel you should havre a 15amp breaker for your battery charger.  If your charger tries to pull more than 15amps, this breaker will trip.  

When we had our 260 Sundancer, we kept it at home on the trailer.  For 4 years, I used a 15amp/30amp adapter and a 100’ 12ga outdoor extension cord to keep it plugged up 100% of the time it was there.  Started out with a Guest 20amp charger and upgraded to a Promariner 40amp after 2 years.  

All worked to perfection the entire time.

 

Bennett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bbwhitejr@yahoo.com said:

Your 30amp breaker is feeding your 110v breaker panel.  On that panel you should havre a 15amp breaker for your battery charger.  If your charger tries to pull more than 15amps, this breaker will trip.  

When we had our 260 Sundancer, we kept it at home on the trailer.  For 4 years, I used a 15amp/30amp adapter and a 100’ 12ga outdoor extension cord to keep it plugged up 100% of the time it was there.  Started out with a Guest 20amp charger and upgraded to a Promariner 40amp after 2 years.  

All worked to perfection the entire time.

 

Bennett

He is not using a shore cord if you read his first post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx agasin for the info.  Just so you know, I am not in a "marina" situation.  Boat is stored on an indoor dry rack, & only plugged in when outsise on a dry rack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Chap Sig 276 said:

Thx agasin for the info.  Just so you know, I am not in a "marina" situation.  Boat is stored on an indoor dry rack, & only plugged in when outsise on a dry rack.

Then you are fine. Continue to use the ext. cord for your current needs. Perfectly safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Rip5 said:

Then you are fine. Continue to use the ext. cord for your current needs. 

Hahaha!

good one...

brick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2017 at 11:16 AM, Rip5 said:

Then you are fine. Continue to use the ext. cord for your current needs. Perfectly safe.

Yes, I would just make sure that the outlet is GFI protected. Also, that you are using a 14 or even better a 12 gauge extension cord. Not the cheap 16 gauge ones. Remember, the longer the cord, the more you want to use a heaver cord. But thats me.............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now