Sign in to follow this  
SST

Buffalo Bills charter departure

This morning I watched the DL 747-400 arrive in Buffalo to pick up the Buffalo Bills to FLL. I myself was late on arrival so I missed getting a video clip. But I caught its departure around 1215pm today. I believe this is Delta's 2nd last 747 flight. The last revenue flight is the football charters return to BUF and then back to DTW likely before the scrape yard. Oh that hurts to say that!

Gonna miss that 747. 

This picture, assuming it works, was last months Bills charger to LAX. After its departure, I followed it across the country and then started watching the live webcam in the cargo area and I caught the 747's arrival with perfect timing. The webcam is constantly scanning the area left to right and then right to left. I was lucky capturing the landing just seconds after touch down.

N666_US_LAX_arrival.png

On 12/30/2017 at 3:01 PM, SST said:

This morning I watched the DL 747-400 arrive in Buffalo to pick up the Buffalo Bills to FLL. I myself was late on arrival so I missed getting a video clip. But I caught its departure around 1215pm today. I believe this is Delta's 2nd last 747 flight. The last revenue flight is the football charters return to BUF and then back to DTW likely before the scrape yard. Oh that hurts to say that!

Gonna miss that 747. 

Wow, never heard of a 744 being used for a football charter. Usually 757/767. I’ve worked a bunch of NBA and NHL charters using mostly 737, A310, 756. 

I'm not certain as to why DL is using the 747 as a charter a/c. But my guess would be as a grand finale to everyone who loves the 747. The FAA mandated a fuel tank modification after the TW800 explosion. I believe that the deadline for the mod is this week. Even though the 747 is still air worthy [a few hours left], nobody really wanted to spend the money for the mod, including United Airlines too.

For Buffalo, that means no more 747's unless a foreign air carrier or a freight hauler diverts here. Maybe Toronto will have a ground stop at precisely the right time so Cathay Pacific's 747-8F diverts to Buffalo. That's unlikely as he'll probably head to DTW or ORD. One can dream.

It would have been a site to see when they returned.  Assuming they had same plane on the return.  There was quite a crowd welcoming them back to Buffalo due to squeaking into the playoffs.

6 hours ago, Roady68 said:

It would have been a site to see when they returned.  Assuming they had same plane on the return.  There was quite a crowd welcoming them back to Buffalo due to squeaking into the playoffs.

I was there on its arrival. About 1250am New Years Day. Lots of people.

Crowd_1-1-2018.jpg

After the crowd departed, only a handful of us remained to watch its departure, 3am. Here is the a/c being de-iced. More like defrosted. Clear skies and sub zero temps will do that.

IMG_3226.jpg

The 747 is a pretty cool plane.  I was one one for my trips to China and back.  Got to sit business class which was pretty nice.  I think the only plane that felt as large was the Lockheed L-1011 which was also a wide body jet.   

I had the unusual opportunity to spend about 20 minutes at the controls of a B744 10 years ago over Saudi Arabia (autopilot off).  It was a Saudi Prince's Flying Palace.  Incredible experience.