Sign in to follow this  
takeahiketour

When Can I Bring My Boat North

Hey everybody! Sold my last Chap at end of summer and just bought a new Boat from California to bring to Portland. It’s in a storage unit so I am taking over the unit and can transport the boat to Portland whenever I’m ready.... Looking at spring freeze charts now because the boat is not winterized...

I’m hoping for people’s opinions on when it’s safe to transport the boat to Portland without winterizing... either specific dates or based on percentage chance of going below a specific temperature. For example the charts will say 10% chance of going below 28 degrees after March 16... thanks for any advice!

Why not just drain the block? Depending on your motor, it is a simple task, and should only take 5 minutes. My Merc has 3 blue plugs to pull...

brick

3 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

You are risking a frozen & cracked engine ?   Why ?  Pay someone to do the job.

Some like the game of chance. The chances are that the overnight freeze might happen anytime up to middle of May. This year's weather pattern increases that chance. Probably not cold enough and long enough to crack the block but you never know.

For the last week & for the next full week N J has & WILL have 25 F & below DAYTIME temperatures.

Too late to drain the engines .  Should be cracked by now.  Hope all you ...........did not have it done.............get super lucky.

I know you want it back at your home. But pay the rental till April, then go get it.

Thanks for all the responses!

Yeah I drained my own block on my Volvo GXI once, thought it had four plugs turns out there was six. That cost me $7,000. Local shops here in Portland, OR will do it under $100 so that’s definitely not something I’ll do on my own ever again and I do most of the maintenance.

This Boat has a Merc V8.

I guess really my question is how cold for how long does it have to be to freeze a block? I know 32 degrees exactly for a couple hours won’t do damage, but what’s the turning point?

4 hours, 24 minutes, and 8 seconds at 31.9F exactly.

Seriously, unless you want to go through another $7k lesson, just spend $100 for someone down there to winterize for you, or only bring it home in May. 

Or, learn how to winterize it properly yourself, with muffs and anti-freeze, so you can leap into action should you decide to bring it home earlier and the weather turns against you. 

Sounds like you're being a penny-wise here with such a high-cost consequence on the line. 

There are too many variables to reliably predict exactly how long at what temp you will see unrepairable block cracking, and at such a low cost to winterize, why even try to find out?

IMO.

I winterize my boat in late October and dont get it back out until early April, and I live in Oklahoma.  Not worth the risk.  

5 hours ago, Cycleman07 said:

I winterize my boat in late October and dont get it back out until early April, and I live in Oklahoma.  Not worth the risk.  

+1

we don’t go boating until the weather gets warm(ish).

brick

Fact Almost EVERY MARINA ...................ONLY DRAINS THE WATERV OUT.......................By removing ALL the drain plugs.  The # of plugs variesso can the locations on a older boat. Or a repaired one over the years. Non OEM may not have exact same places.  Close but sometimes I have to feel for the stern plugs. Drop it. Buy another. Check the O rings & replace if necessary...........I change O rings every 10 years . Needed or not.   :lol: