Sign in to follow this  
Fgeo14

Renting a lake house

Hey folks, we are thinking about getting a house on a nice lake here in VA (Smith Mountain Lake) and I was hoping to get any advice about “dos”and “don’t” about renting it. Any success stories to share and other stories I could maybe learn from.

thanks and Happy New Year all!

I believe renting at SML will put you on the Bedford County side of the lake.  That is fine, but probably not where I would want to purchase (to each their own on that).  My suggestion would be finding a relatively flat lot.  Having an easy walk to the dock is huge.  Easy to keep tabs on the kids, etc...   Also would make sure that you have reasonably deep water access to get the boat in /out (currently the lake is down a few feet).  Good luck on your search.  You will have a great summer and perhaps can decide if you want to purchase for a long term investment.  

On 1/20/2018 at 7:27 AM, VAboater said:

I believe renting at SML will put you on the Bedford County side of the lake.  That is fine, but probably not where I would want to purchase (to each their own on that).  My suggestion would be finding a relatively flat lot.  Having an easy walk to the dock is huge.  Easy to keep tabs on the kids, etc...   Also would make sure that you have reasonably deep water access to get the boat in /out (currently the lake is down a few feet).  Good luck on your search.  You will have a great summer and perhaps can decide if you want to purchase for a long term investment.  

Agreed, our lake, like many, has wide and varying topography.  There are many homes that have almost a sheer hill that requires a powered lift or switchback steps to get to the lake.  I can't imagine living with that trek to the lake.  We must go back and forth from the shore/dock to the lake fifty times a day and so our door is about 30 feet from the water and maybe two feet of elevation.  Would be hard as you get older to do switchbacks.  Just the maintenance/upkeep on the wooden stair systems in this state would be a huge pain.  

Rail cars with a canopy are perfect. A friend has 1. Takes 4 seniors at a time down 40' to the boat houses.