7 posts in this topic

I am new to a boat with shore power.  I have a 1993 Signature 24 and looking for any material on the proper use (and switch positions) of the electrical panel.   Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Some things I learned when having shore power:

Always unplug at the dock first when unhooking and plug into the dock last when hooking up.  The idea is to prevent a live cable from falling into the water.  We use those Velcro cable holders to keep the power line attached to the side rails. 

Before connecting we make sure all the 110V switches are off.  Connect the cord at the boat, then at the dock and come back and turn the main on.  Then we turn on the loads we are use regularly which is the battery charger and refrigerator and any of the outlets that we use to charge phones or ipads.  Our boat has air conditioning and has a second main switch for the A/C.  If you have A/C the condensate probably drains to a sump.  Make sure that sump pump is on (usually a 12V switch at the helm).  We flip on the water heater, microwave and various outlets only as needed, then turn them off.  I am not sure that is right, but that is what we do.  I am concerned that doing this puts wear and tear on the breakers.  I am not sure if marine breakers are designed to be used as switches too.  Maybe someone here can chime in on that one. 

When we leave the boat for extended time, we leave the shore power hooked up and the refrigerator and battery charger on.  We shut everything else off.  If we are gone for just the day, or a few hours, we will leave the outlets and A/C on.  

But as Cyclops indicated, if you have a picture, we can walk you through the panel.

A lot of good points 68 has. It really depends on, are you taking the cord with you. Most people leave the cord if there returning to the same slip.  I shut off the breaker at the power station first with all the loads on the boat turned off. This will prevent arcing no matter which end is unplugged first. Then if you leave the cord at the dock, the end of the cord has no power. On return, just the reverse.  

Wow!   Thanks for all of the great info!   When I bought the boat a few weeks ago, I didn't even know what questions to ask.  I'm headed to the marina this weekend to check everything out (with a little more knowledge, now) and will let you know what I discover.  (I was curious about the batter charger switch, as I remember it being OFF when we verified AC from the shore power.  But, I could be mistaken...as it should be in the ON position per your comments.)  

Thanks, again, and more to follow...

On 1/3/2018 at 9:46 AM, Davy41 said:

Wow!   Thanks for all of the great info!   When I bought the boat a few weeks ago, I didn't even know what questions to ask.  I'm headed to the marina this weekend to check everything out (with a little more knowledge, now) and will let you know what I discover.  (I was curious about the batter charger switch, as I remember it being OFF when we verified AC from the shore power.  But, I could be mistaken...as it should be in the ON position per your comments.)  

Thanks, again, and more to follow...

I would take a U.S.C.G. course.

Yes, the battery charger should be on when on shore power.

On 1/3/2018 at 9:28 AM, Iggy said:

A lot of good points 68 has. It really depends on, are you taking the cord with you. Most people leave the cord if there returning to the same slip.  I shut off the breaker at the power station first with all the loads on the boat turned off. This will prevent arcing no matter which end is unplugged first. Then if you leave the cord at the dock, the end of the cord has no power. On return, just the reverse.  

Although our plans of taking our Sig overnight to another Marina fell through, our plan was to unplug and take the cord.  Otherwise we just leave it coiled up on the dock while we are out for the day.  We also have various adapters that may be necessary depending on what power outlet a certain Marina might have.  Previous owner left them with the boat.  Our slip does not have a local switch/Breaker at the outlet.  Its at a junction box a few slips down (I think, I need to verify next year, lol).