Moonlight1

Trailering 310 Signature

23 posts in this topic

Hello Boating experts I am new to the forum hoping to educate myself before i purchase. I am looking at buying a 310 i have only ever had smaller boats under 21' so this is a whole new arena for me. i am not at a point in life i can spend alot of time on the water so i want to bring my boat home in between trips so i can baby it in my building. I am in Utah there are several places i want to take the 310 so keeping it trailerable is important to me. i know a 310 is pushing the limit on trailering and from what i have read i am sure i will hear some don't do its and some no problem. I have a couple of dodge 3500 trucks that are capable I am not worried about the weight as i am used to pulling a 34' bumper pull trailer that is heavier than the boat will be, its the beam and height that concern me as well as launching. I guess finding the right trailer is one question i have, i want to keep it as low as possible and does anyone have a height of a 310 on a trailer? i want to put it in my building its a 16' ceiling and 14' door. 

Thanks in advance for your input. 

The 14' door should be adequate height.  3 axle trailer...may have one custom made.  Of course there also may be permits needed in your state for trailering that wide of a boat. I  have a 284 Sunesta with the 9' beam and needed a permit.  Life is much easier keeping at the lake on a lift.   Welcome. 

Obviously the truck is the first thing and sounds like you got that.  3/4 ton truck will be needed or bigger and preferably a diesel.  With that said you should check your state DMV or DOT for wide loads, as that boat will probably be considered a wide load and will need a permit.  Trailer I would ensure its a triple axle and should probably have all three axles with brakes. 

I don't want to poopoo it as some around here would like you to think anything over a few thousand pounds is impossible to move.  But with a boat of that size and nature I don't think you will be wanting to be moving it to point a and b all of the time. 

The size of your boat depends on the year.  The newer 310's from about 2012 (guessing) are the same size as my older 290, 31 ft in total length and 10 ft wide.  The older 310 is 33 ft in length and 101/2 ft wide.  I have a custom Metal Craft trailer made for my boat that is 10 wide.  Works very well but I really would not want to move this boat all the time.  Requires special permits and weighs in around 13,000 lb's on the trailer with fluids, etc.  It is 13'6" tall so it fits in a 14' high door as long as the width is fine.

I'd suggest taking it to your lake and leaving it there during the season and then bring it home during the off season. 

Thanks for the input, sounds like it would fit in my building, i have talked to a couple guys that are trailering sail boats seasonally and i will need some permits and i am limited to the days i can tow it. i want to avoid a height issue with the beam which it sounds like i should be fine at 13'6". i am sure at some point i will leave it at the lake but i don't want to limit my options by getting a boat to big. Again thanks for the input. Do any of you have a recommendation on the best trailer? I am thinking Aluminum and i would think a wider than normal axle would be smart. I have seen some that keep 8' axle width and it looks unstable. Thinking with a 10' beam the axle should be 9' plus for stability. 

I had to get a non-commercial Class A license since my boat weighs more than 12,000 lbs on tow hitch or 15,000 for 5th wheel hitch.  I also needed to get a overwide annual permit for towing since I'm wider than 8'6".  And lastly I need to follow apply for permits on certain roads when traveling on certain two lane highways.  

I'd look for a triple axle aluminum trailer to help shed some weight off the boat and trailer combo.  The only problem with a trailer that is wider than 8'6" is that you'll need a permit to tow it whether the boat is on it or not.  

Good luck.

I would spend some time researching the laws and requirements for Utah.  The issue is that some of the regulations are federal, and some of them are state.  So what may be true for some one else here may not be true for you.  Make some phone calls to the Highway patrol and or what ever department in your state handles special permits.  Have all those questions answered before you buy.  In general, the requirements are much easier to meet for "recreational use" vs being "engaged in commerce".  This too could get pretty complicated if for instance your tow vehicle has commercial tags, is registered in a company name, or has a company name o the side of it.  

Wind & or currents are not a minor fact when you launch & retrieve . You may wind up anchoring out until the evening breezes drop to a "  No scraping of the boat" .  Launching at a marina may be mandatory with a big fork truck or straddle lifter . Larger boats do require a larger line handling crew. Bow & or stern thrusters would be nice in windy launch areas.

Carefully check out all the launches for enough depth when the winds change your water depths. Have to be careful of ramp drop offs or clay muck as you back off the ramp for any reason........Been there & had 2 big pick ups pull a triple axle out of the clay.  It does happen. Exciting when triples back off a ramp & the tires start blowing out.

Forgot you are going from 21 to 31.  Practice docking for a while with a slip .  In the calm.  Then winds & currents.   BEFORE your first trailer launch & retrieve.

Anyone can launch a trailered boat.

Reload ??

New or used.  I would buy a "  Agreed value "  policy. Risk of scrunches is real on your first couple of reloads.

Going from a 21' to 31' means moving up to twins. Much easier docking, launching and retrieving. 

I retrieve in high winds almost every time. Just takes practice and the cajones to approach the trailer at an extreme angle as needed.    

35 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

New or used.  I would buy a "  Agreed value "  policy. Risk of scrunches is real on your first couple of reloads.

I have yet to hear of anyone totaling a boat trying to get it on the trailer. 

Here is my opinion, for what its worth.  To me (and I am new to cruiser as of last year) it sounds like you are not ready to take the plunge and get a larger boat.  It sounds like to me you want the large boat with all the area (volume?) but don't plan on using it as such yet.  Maybe you are getting a really good deal, and that makes sense.  But re-reading your first few sentences it sounds like you want a 31' that acts like a 21'.  Baby it at home?  Why can't it be babied at a slip?  Can't spend time there? Then maybe a 31' isn't the right move yet.    Trailering a large boat like a 310 is not a " hook it up and run to the lake" task.   As others have mentioned, the weight and dimensions get you into permitted loads.  I also think you expose the boat to just as much damage going back and forth that just leaving it in the slip.   My opinion is to get a slip and leave it.  Make the time to spend it on the water. Otherwise I'd live with the 21' until ready.  And believe me, I had the same argument with myself.  We sold our 21' cuddy a few years back.  We were originally looking to replace it in kind and decided to go to a 30'.  Trailer versus slip was a question.  In the end, we have a slip, and we found ourselves on the boat a helluva lot more than we thought this past summer.  Good luck in your decision.  

1 hour ago, Waterfun said:

It's a PITA towing my 24 footer.

That sucks...  My Cruiser tows like a dream. 

31 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

right equipment, have your process down and enough practice towing is not a problem.  Not sure I would want to trailer a 31 foot boat every where but it could be done.

Hello @Moonlight1 and welcome aboard :D.

I think someone asked you before but what year is your Sig 310 ? If she is before 2010 then you are wider and longer than after 2010.

In my case, I have a 3500 Dually AISIN Cummins blablabla and I am towing my Sig 290 2004 (Same size as the 310 after 2010) without any problems.

Since your truck is strong enough I would say "Go for it", is not as hard and stressful as it seems. Stay on Interstates because of the heights and you will be fine.

I bought a 15 K capable trailer, triple of course, here is the model : http://www.loadrite.com/spec-sheet-generation/?sheet_id=2853&sheet_model=LR-AB32R15000102TB3

I have added EOH, custom wheels Aluminium hardware.

As for permits etc it is indeed more complicated since you will need a permit for each state you want to cross but it seems you are planning to stay in UTAH, so not a big deal I guess ;). Feel free to ask, but I would say a 310 before 2010 is too wide to be towed but after 2010 I think it can be done easily as soon as you have the right truck ;).

Guys, thank you so much for all your good advise. i may be jumping the gun a bit on the size due to the fact i want to visit several places rather than slip the boat at any one place. I still enjoy hanging out at home polishing the Harley or the boat so trailering it is important to me. 

Exoset gave me the answer i wanted to hear (thank you) and i am used to pulling a big load so I really do feel the 310 is a good option. i visited with a guy that tows his 37' Doral annually with no worries but i felt that was to big hence my interest in the 310. i have looked a newer boats and considering ordering a new 310 so it would be the smaller version of the 310. We don't think the 270 will give us what we are looking for but it sounds like if i can find a nice 290 that may be a good option. 

We will continue our search and i do very much appreciate the expertise you all have offered. 

Exoset thank you for the loadrite info i will be doing my homework on that one. looks very nice. 

19 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Mine tows great as well. I'm talking about the crappy fuel mileage, hook up & unhook, in & out of the water, parking, waiting, etc. It's a PITA with a 24 foot and probably more so with a 30 footer. 

12 hours ago, Moonlight1 said:

Guys, thank you so much for all your good advise. i may be jumping the gun a bit on the size due to the fact i want to visit several places rather than slip the boat at any one place. I still enjoy hanging out at home polishing the Harley or the boat so trailering it is important to me. 

Exoset gave me the answer i wanted to hear (thank you) and i am used to pulling a big load so I really do feel the 310 is a good option. i visited with a guy that tows his 37' Doral annually with no worries but i felt that was to big hence my interest in the 310. i have looked a newer boats and considering ordering a new 310 so it would be the smaller version of the 310. We don't think the 270 will give us what we are looking for but it sounds like if i can find a nice 290 that may be a good option. 

We will continue our search and i do very much appreciate the expertise you all have offered. 

Exoset thank you for the loadrite info i will be doing my homework on that one. looks very nice. 

If we can help ;). I had the exact same concerns as you when I bought my 290. 2 Dogs, 2 kids and 2 adults, I wanted something where we could spend nights without stepping on each other feet. I had a Sig 270 2007 before the 290 and it was too small. At first, I wanted a 310 (after 2010), but IMO the 290 have more floor space in the cabin than the 310, which is important for the dogs. The 310 on the other hand have a beautiful bed (V-Berth) + the one AFT. I wanted a genny then when I found a 290 2004 with no hours, I just jumped on it. I am from Canada (not the warmest place on earth) and I am towing the boat every year to Florida Keys (4500 Miles back and forth) and I have to say, we enjoy the trip as much as the destination ;) (for now), anyway, I wanted comfort but the boat had to be towable and your are looking at the good size for that, I wish you good luck, prospecting is the best part ;).

Here are some pics if it can help you in your quest :P : (Just before some guys ask, the truck is lowered on the back, easier to pin :p)

524189IMG20171220170027.jpg

178942IMG0404.jpg

849215IMG0409.jpg868495IMG20171217222626.jpg

Your whole setup looks great with the new truck.  I'm surprised you don't carry more than one spare, with 6 wheels on the trailer.

36 minutes ago, sburke91 said:

Your whole setup looks great with the new truck.  I'm surprised you don't carry more than one spare, with 6 wheels on the trailer.

Haha funny ou talked about that, I ordered another spare carrier 2 days ago. When I bought the trailer I wanted to know the tongue weight before adding more stress on it ;).