Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Upper Deck Dan

Battery Sequence Question

12 posts in this topic

I'm a first time owner and boat a 250 Signature Cruiser. I have a (2) battery system (engine and house) and curious to what the correct sequence is when out at sea and at anchor. I do not have a generator....do I leave both batteries in the "on" position....turn both "off" to not drain power?

We were out last season and left both "on" and drifted for about an hour and when I went to start back up it was dead. Fortunately, I have a 3rd emergency switch to draw from both the re-start, but would've figured my engine battery wouldn't be affected.

What's the correct sequence/process?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is more complicated than it appears. First off, the house and engine battery should be just that. Meaning that the engine battery is for starting only and maybe a bilge pump. The house is for everything else. Between 25 to 50  bucks you can buy a tester to do a load test on each battery.    https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Analyzer-Cranking-Charging-Motorcycle/dp/B0757ZGS4H/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1515274368&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=12v+load+test&psc=1

The engine battery should not have gone dead on you unless its going bad (test it) or something else is pulling power from it. The house battery, well you will need to do the math between the loads (light, radio....) and how big your battery is. You can always add another house battery too.

I would highly suggest you talk to someone at your Club or marina and even have them look at your setup. To really answer your question is difficult with out knowing what you have.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 1 RULE EVEN I do  not break.  EVER !!.  The engine starting battery is NEVER used for anything but TRYING TO START THE ENGINE.    ANY engine should have a PERFECT WORKING automatic choke.  That  makes at most. A 2 seconds of cranking when at 35F.

Engine SLIGHTLY WARMED UP AFTER STOPPING ?  1/2 of a second of cranking.  PERIOD !!  If not ?  Change mechanics.

All 3 Mercruiser 5.0L  carbed engines RESTART INSTANTLY.  1/4 of a second AT MOST.   Click RUMMP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you use the engine battery for only starting the engine and running to where you wish to anchor. Once there, then switch over to the "house battery" for stereo and lights, ect. This will ensure that you will always be able to get back home with an "undrained" engine battery.

If you spend a lot of time at anchor, you might want to consider a second "house" battery in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. So from what I am reading keep it simple 1.) Use Engine Battery for starting only and switch to "off" once engine is running and House battery for everything else for that trip. When you shut the engine off (anchoring, drifting) turn the engine battery back "on" to restart so to ensure a charged battery.

 

I think my issue was I left the House and Engine turned on and assumed they would charge during travel and that appears not he case. Also, I appreciate the advice about checking the load as maybe the batteries are failing.

-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the engine battery should be just for starting. So there should be no need to turn it off. That goes back to me first post. It should have never died unless its going bad or something else that is ON is connected to it.

And yes, they should have been charging when the engine was running no matter how the switches were set. Thats if it was setup properly!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Upper Deck Dan said:

Thanks. So from what I am reading keep it simple 1.) Use Engine Battery for starting only and switch to "off" once engine is running and House battery for everything else for that trip. When you shut the engine off (anchoring, drifting) turn the engine battery back "on" to restart so to ensure a charged battery.

-

You partially have it. Do not turn the engine battery to "off " while the engine is running, leave it on. This will ensure that your alternator is charging all batteries while running, assuming your system is wired properly. When you are stopped, then switch over to the "house" battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chap243 said:

You partially have it. Do not turn the engine battery to "off " while the engine is running, leave it on. This will ensure that your alternator is charging all batteries while running, assuming your system is wired properly. When you are stopped, then switch over to the "house" battery.

"When you are stopped, then switch over to the "house" battery." Well that depends on how its wired. My boat, I do not switch over batteries and most cruises don't too.

Most cruises have a separate house bank and starting battery/s. Most smaller boats, say 23' and under do not separate the two. We do not really know his setup.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 250 Sig like you.  Ours has two batteries for the house system and one battery for the engine.  We stay on the hook overnight and never have any problems with the starting battery going dead.  I NEVER switch either of the battery banks "off" until I'm tied up in the slip and leaving the boat.  You have something else going on....the starting battery is either going bad or you have something drawing it down.  Proper management (if everything's setup correctly and batteries are good) is to turn both switches "on" when beginning your day, but make sure the "emergency switch" off as that switch combines the two battery banks.  Only use the emergency switch when you've exhausted your starting battery and need the house batteries to help get the motor started.

Hope that makes sense.  You might also want to check your Voltage Sensitive Relay (VSR) if you have one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2018 at 10:15 AM, Upper Deck Dan said:

Thanks. So from what I am reading keep it simple 1.) Use Engine Battery for starting only and switch to "off" once engine is running and House battery for everything else for that trip. When you shut the engine off (anchoring, drifting) turn the engine battery back "on" to restart so to ensure a charged battery.

 

I think my issue was I left the House and Engine turned on and assumed they would charge during travel and that appears not he case. Also, I appreciate the advice about checking the load as maybe the batteries are failing.

-

Do NOT turn the battery selector switch to “off” while the engine is running. 

Make sure your #1starting battery is a “starting” battery, of the correct MCA for your motor. Use this battery for starting. When on the hook, switch to the #2 house battery. This should be a deep cycle, or even a pair for added capacity  

Switch back to the #1 battery to restart and run the motor. 

Have your batteries load tested. If one battery is weak, it will bring the other battery down to its level if you are in the “both” position, which should only be used for emergency power.

brick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, brick said:

Do NOT turn the battery selector switch to “off” while the engine is running. 

Make sure your #1starting battery is a “starting” battery, of the correct MCA for your motor. Use this battery for starting. When on the hook, switch to the #2 house battery. This should be a deep cycle, or even a pair for added capacity  

Switch back to the #1 battery to restart and run the motor. 

Have your batteries load tested. If one battery is weak, it will bring the other battery down to its level if you are in the “both” position, which should only be used for emergency power.

brick

This is a cruiser. Brick, I don't know his set up and he has not fully explained it to us. But your making it sound like he has one battery switch. Most cruises have 2 to 4 switches depending on there setup. (In my case I have 4) If I am not mistaken, he has 3 battery switches. (And yes, do NOT turn "OFF" the starting battery with the engine on.) One for the engine, one for the house and one to combine for emergencies. With this kind of setup, basally you get on your boat and turn the engine and house to the "ON" position leaving the other to "OFF".

Go out, have fun, go on the hook and what ever.............  With everything on and the house battery going dead. The engine should start right up and without  touching any switches. Providing the boat is setup up properly and again we don't know that. As someone else mentioned, is the VSR/combiner working? Both batteries should be charging with the engine running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Iggy said:

This is a cruiser. Brick, I don't know his set up and he has not fully explained it to us. But your making it sound like he has one battery switch. Most cruises have 2 to 4 switches depending on there setup. (In my case I have 4) If I am not mistaken, he has 3 battery switches. (And yes, do NOT turn "OFF" the starting battery with the engine on.) One for the engine, one for the house and one to combine for emergencies. With this kind of setup, basally you get on your boat and turn the engine and house to the "ON" position leaving the other to "OFF".

Go out, have fun, go on the hook and what ever.............  With everything on and the house battery going dead. The engine should start right up and without  touching any switches. Providing the boat is setup up properly and again we don't know that. As someone else mentioned, is the VSR/combiner working? Both batteries should be charging with the engine running.

+1 

I have the same boat (250 Sig) and that's exactly the way the system works.  So as you said, unless his is set up differently, what you said is all true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0