Upper Deck Dan

Battery Sequence Question

39 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Yes, there is still voltage at the amp. But there is a breaker not more the 3 ft. from the battery.

Yes, and that breaker is there to protect the boat, not the amp. An amp can catch on fire long before the shorted current draw exceeds that breaker. There are hundreds of circuits that will go up in smoke without even popping the small chassis mounted amp fuses. Get a water leak dripping on an amp and you can have it drawing current without getting close to tripping that breaker.  

42 minutes ago, Iggy said:

bilge pumps,  mercathode, Co detectors,

As noted, these would be the crucial circuits that could remain on, even with the switch off. radio MEM? who needs it. Who looks at the clock or relies on pre-set stations. There are head units with backup battery as well as many new ones use non-volatile EEPROM memory. 

4 hours ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

Yes, and that breaker is there to protect the boat, not the amp. An amp can catch on fire long before the shorted current draw exceeds that breaker. There are hundreds of circuits that will go up in smoke without even popping the small chassis mounted amp fuses. Get a water leak dripping on an amp and you can have it drawing current without getting close to tripping that breaker.  

As noted, these would be the crucial circuits that could remain on, even with the switch off. radio MEM? who needs it. Who looks at the clock or relies on pre-set stations. There are head units with backup battery as well as many new ones use non-volatile EEPROM memory. 

The breaker is to protect the wiring 1st, than the amp. All I know is that the amp has 2 built in fuses and the line has a breaker on it. The odds of the amp catching fire and the fuses and breaker not tripping are far and few between. Look at cars, is there a battery switch to turn them off?   To me, ether case, to the battery or to the battery switch is correct.  

We can debate this forever, enough said. As long as wiring common scene is adhered to, breakers/ fuses are in line, the right type and gauge of wire used, the right connectors and....................................       

Not much of a debate. You have not listed one positive reason to circumvent the switch. Only argued against the reasons to wire through the switch.  

MY batteries are only run down by ME being forgetful. Or several days of rain running the house battery down.

Bilge is The ONLY thing wired to the + post.