Seif Halawa

chaparrel 310 hatch malfunction

Posted (edited)

HELP! 

chaparrel 310 year 2010 engine hatch malfunction and can’t seem to figure out how to open it manually at all, any pictures would be a great support...I also contacted the local dealership and they seem to have no clue.

best regards,

Seif 

Edited by Seif Halawa
Not enough information

Your talking about the engine compartment, yes? Its motorized? Are your batteries dead? 

More info would be helpful. 

Disregard, my reading comprehension is lacking today.. Open the access port and pull the pin. Get help, the hatch is heavy.

Thank you for your speedy reply :  ) , the engine hatch...there’s a malfunction with the hydronic motor that opens it and I can’t find any other way to open it what so ever! 

1 hour ago, Seif Halawa said:

Thank you for your speedy reply :  ) , the engine hatch...there’s a malfunction with the hydronic motor that opens it and I can’t find any other way to open it what so ever! 

If it's like mine, there's an access cover (unscrew to open).  Then, reach inside and find the pin that connects the arm to the hatch.  Remove the pin and you should be able to manually open the hatch.  Good luck!

The access maybe located under the aft seat cushion. If it is a dead house battery there should be two terminals to connect another battery to. That will supply power to the house battery. 

First thing to check is the circuit breaker for the hatch lift.  On my 290 it is NOT located with the other circuit breakers on the battery switch panel, NOR on the circuit breaker panel under the dashboard.  After the same problem, I found it located to the right of the steering wheel, on the dash, next to the indicator panel for the fixed fire extinguisher.  There are two unlabeled breaker buttons there -- apparently one is for the hatch lift motor and one is for the fire extinguisher.

I pushed it and reset and got power to the motor.

If that doesn't work, then it's the battery  As MPM 330 says there are two "jumper" terminals somewhere on your boat.  On mine, they are located close to the shore power and cable TV sockets inside the rear storage compartment above the swim platform.  Hook up a portable power pack and you should be able to get power.  I don't know how you have to set the battery switches (house on or off, engines on or off, or set the parallel combine switch so they are all together) when using the jumper terminals.

If that doesn't work, you have motor or screw jack issues.  As others have said, under the carpet on the hatch or somewhere close to where the lifting actuator connects on the bottom side of the hatch, should be a big plastic screw cover.  Open that, reach in and pull the pin, and then you can manually lift the hatch.  Mine has a collapsible handle right at the front.  Don't forget that you'll need a sturdy piece of wood (like a sawed off broom handle) or two to hold up the hatch.  There's another pull pin that mounts the motor and screw mechanism to the hull.  Disconnect the electrical plug, pull the bottom mounting pin, and the assembly comes out.

I took the motor off (two or four screws) to access the screw mechanism and shaft.  I tested the motor by running wires from a battery to the plug and it worked.  My motor was ok.  However, I noticed that there's a grease fitting I had never seen or serviced at the based of the shaft assembly, and I thought the screw mechanism was binding.  So I lubed it real good and took a drill with a flat tip screw bit and ran the shaft in and out several times to get the grease all along the internals.  Then I put it back together and into the boat, (with it extended) pinned the bottom, lowered the hatch and pinned the hatch to the shaft, hooked up the electrical connector and  . . . . it worked.

Which was a surprise given my usual luck with such stuff.

Good point on the breaker.  On the 250, it is indeed under the helm.  Check there.  I have tripped mine and a simple reset did the trick.  My issue was lubrication.  I also lubed the fitting @tanker is talking about and it operated much better and hasn't tripped the breaker since.