Amar Nanduri

Stern Rail for a 270 Signature

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

For a Chaparral 270 is it possible to fix a stern rail ? Where can I purchase one? Can this be a DIY project Or I need to go to a dealer to get it fixed? I have seen something similar for a Signature 310 and want to get the same fixed for the 270. The reason is 2 fold..it keeps my kids safe and away from the prop. Secondly if I have to carry extra fuel on long trips, I can tie two 5 gallon tanks to the stern and have the rail act as a barrier to hold the tanks in place.

I am attaching a picture of a Signature 310 as a reference.

Cheers

Amar

15080513444428334986014.JPG

chaparral-310-sportscruiser.jpg

Yes, there are marine rail systems that can accomplish that as dyi. The only problem is ... the rail supports need to be mounted with strong backing plates and nuts inside the swim platform. What you see in the picture is the railing installed on add-on swim platform that provides much better access to the bottom of its deck if is not enclosed, or can be dismounted and taken apart.

If your Sig270 has an integrated enclosed swim platform like mine does, it will be a darn difficult job ... I know, I had to reinstall the swim ladder, both sides of the air vent tube, and I added the underwater light under the platform. You will need somebody skinny with long arms, and with excellent dexterity. Scrapes, fiberglass burns, and bleeding knuckles is an understatement.

I had wanted to do the same thing to provide support for a tender and gave up after the necessary fixes were done, but it can be done for sure.

Thanks Richard. You gave me food for thought. The one I am looking at has an integrated swim platform. Can you share pictures of your mods for the underwater light as that is something I am also interested in doing? 

Best

Amar..

The light and location choice aims to outline the swim platform edges and assist in boarding at night, and to prevent walking off the platform while on hook at night. It also illuminates the drive and prop nicely if one wants to do some skinny dipping or needs to inspect the works at night.

gallery_11046_1006_195927.jpg

There is just enough space between top and bottom sandwich of swim platform to push in and sometime jam in my arm and reach everywhere ... but for this install you only need enough space to feed/fetch the wire. The install is done from outside, one 1/2" hole for a wire, and three small holes for mounting screws. Use plenty of 3M 4000 or 3M 4200 to seal all 4 holes and the light's base well.

The light located in this place needs to be rated for under/above water install ... many underwater lights depend on water immersion for cooling. This one does not care. It's Lumitec LEDUL4 white acquired from Larson Electronics: http://www.magnalight.com/pc-1793-278-underwater-led-boat-light--high-intensity-led-underwater-lights--12-watts--1080-lumen.aspx . I suspect there are better cheaper light available these days, just make sure it is designed to work under and above the waterline.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your project ...

Thank you Richard. Appreciate it. This is the first time I am seeing a light rated for both under/above water. I will definitely check it out. 

Best

Amar