Solarmatt

Blue or black

36 posts in this topic

I've finally made the decision to buy my first boat - Chaparral Vortex 223 VR. 

I'm torn between black or dark navy blue. I like them both. I am thinking black may get a little hotter than blue on a scorcher, but not sure. 

Any advise on either color?

I know the new stuff they claim doesn't fade as much or get hot.  But still think Id opt for the lighter color, just seems it would show less dust and be cooler.

I’d go with the black. 

As far as fading as long as you take care of the hull .... washing and waxing a couple of times a year you will be fine.

Again the key to these solid colors like black or navy or red that you see sometimes is keeping up with it.  Its going to take more work than white that's a fact.  Another problem is dock rash and so forth will show more.   It looks nice, but not as practical as more white of a boat.  Just my two cents.

I have a black challenger, but my daily driver is not black.  I used to have a black daily driver and never again.

Dock rash & fender rash is most definitely an issue with black.  Everything shows.  Which is why I have fleece fender covers and I never dock my boat without them.  Dark colors are definitely more work.  I recently traded in my dark Cherry truck and got silver because I was sick of the little scratches & swirl marks that stand out in the sun.  But I've had my black boat for over 10 yrs. and with the correct upkeep, it still looks like new.

I think it really depends on how you store it and maintain it.  Left in the sun and seldom waxed?  Dark colors will suffer.  I agree with MonkeySea, I love my 2006 black boat and it still looks great, but a black car ... never again.

47 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

Dock rash & fender rash is most definitely an issue with black.  Everything shows.  Which is why I have fleece fender covers and I never dock my boat without them.  Dark colors are definitely more work.  I recently traded in my dark Cherry truck and got silver because I was sick of the little scratches & swirl marks that stand out in the sun.  But I've had my black boat for over 10 yrs. and with the correct upkeep, it still looks like new.

I had two black trucks, then a dk grey which was almost as bad lol.  I now have more of the fire engine red truck and so much better.  Silver for dirt and swirls is the best for sure, ironically I had a white truck before and white is actually a pretty good color too.

I would also recommend no color above the rub rail of the boat.  Much harder to keep from fading over time . . . 

2 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

Dock rash & fender rash is most definitely an issue with black. 

Dark Blue sux as well. 

I like the blue.  The dark blue color looks really good in the sun.  In the VR the colors are only available as a wide band on the side, and all white isn't an option.  Regardless of the color, when its only on the outside of the boat, it will make no difference to how hot it is inside.  

I like black. Classier. BUUT no scratches !!  They show easily. Learn to use a buffer. Lightly  Then a clear coat for sun protection. Wors for me.

It is a pain to keep clean and scuff free, but I love the black band hull.  When clean and polished it really pops.

I say Black. I have 2 black vehicles and wish my boat was black. Sure it has to have more work. But if you keep it up nothing else looks as good

I have an H2O White with the blue band. Love how good the blue looks when clean. I wash and wax pretty religiously though. Not that difficult to wash the boat and hit it with some liquid wax every few washes. So far so good. 

I also use Zaino z6 after every wash. That’s a polymer show car wax. Kind of like a quick detailed. Spray on, wipe off. Gives it a super deep look. 

couple of recent shots of my 2006.  never stored indoors, but always covered and regularly polished, waxed and kept clean.  750 hours on her.

y4mK_PjCVmDl7HNFZbebzaH1M3By7sDQb108IWOfy4mHJNfvAWWBc8QxUsZV3HWTHrLF7piK672F18uz