Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TNBrett

21 H2o Surf

11 posts in this topic

21 H2o Surf

I just saw this in a flyer my dealer sent out in advance of the boat show.  It looks very interesting.  I think Chaparral should do well with this if it puts out a good surfable wake.  

Gotta be better than the vortex line. 380HP is a lot for a boat of that weight, I bet it gets up to speed in a hurry. 

The medallion display is pretty sweet too!

@Cammy

This will do MUCH better than a Vortex.  I believe they make this surf package For some of the Sunesta and SSX boats as well if this 21 is not big enough. 

I am curious to know how long Chap will use Malibu’s Surf Gate tech after Malibu purchased Cobalt(and could be using it there).  

8 hours ago, TNBrett said:

I believe it maxes out at 280 HP.  They only offer it with the V6 Volvo FFD. 

Yeah 280 is what I meant to say...I have the 250 Merc in my 21 H2O and it’s plenty.

Anyway, I’m sure this will be a hot seller for them.  Looks like fully loaded still only $50-55k.  Hard to find a decent wake boat new for anything close to that. 

About a $10k premium for the surf gate, medallion display and Volvo ffd...

Wakesurfing is indeed a relatively expensive sport.  Hard to do it on the cheap.  I get to do it occasionally behind my BiL's Axis.  It's fun, but not worth the expense for me.

I'm certainly leery of FFDs for a variety of reasons.  And without ballast there's only so much wake you're gonna get . . . 

I looked at the build options pretty close on this, and yeah, with basically all the boxes checked you're at about 55 or 56 iirc.  It does have a ballast system as an option.  Presumably its controlled by the Medallion touchscreen.  I can imagine plenty of room for ballast in a 21 H2o.  

Its not something I'm interested in right now, but it sure seems like a good afordable option for someone wanting to surf.

Has anyone wake surfed behind one of these Volvo FFD and Malibu Surf Gate Chap combos? If so, what was the overall experience like?

Futzin is right about weights. We have a couple of woody 30' to 40 ' 1940s cruisers. Need a 3' to 4' wake?  Add 13 people, food & drinks. WAAAHOOO  I rent it for a old timers cruise. WOT  wake ?   HO HO HO   :wub:

A non planning hull at WOT does a terrific job of destroying docked boats.

5 hours ago, TNBrett said:

I looked at the build options pretty close on this, and yeah, with basically all the boxes checked you're at about 55 or 56 iirc.  It does have a ballast system as an option.  Presumably its controlled by the Medallion touchscreen.  I can imagine plenty of room for ballast in a 21 H2o.  

Its not something I'm interested in right now, but it sure seems like a good afordable option for someone wanting to surf.

I missed the ballast option . . . not that I delved too deeply

14 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Futzin is right about weights. We have a couple of woody 30' to 40 ' 1940s cruisers. Need a 3' to 4' wake?  Add 13 people, food & drinks. WAAAHOOO  I rent it for a old timers cruise. WOT  wake ?   HO HO HO   :wub:

A non planning hull at WOT does a terrific job of destroying docked boats.

:captain: