Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iggy

Boat accident

31 posts in this topic

Did anyone one see on Good Morning America the short clip of the boating accident??

It looked like a small cruiser ran over the stern of a Grady White or Boston Whaler type boat. (it only showed the stern) The clip was about 5 or 6 seconds long.

I went to the GMA site, but there was nothing more on this.  

Found out it was in the mouth of the Columbia River.

All over the news channels this AM.

Operator of the larger boat said "he couldn't see the other boat from his seating position".

Guess he couldn't see the looming shore line he was headed straight for at full speed, either. I take that as he wasn't looking. Negligence at it's meaning.

Some people shouldn't pilot a boat.

the article I read said the operator rides around on a "Jazzy" and isn't able to stand up at the helm of his boat.  He's 75 and said he couldn't see over the dash.  His son-in-law said he was also texting at the time.  Comforting knowing people like this are on our waterways!!!  NOT!

Big boat skipper obviously negligent for this crash. May have a hard time getting 400K out of him without injuries or lost wages involved, but he definitely owes for the value of the small boat.

A couple of grand for forcing the small boat guys to jump into the water at those temperatures would be nice. More than a couple grand for suffering.

Son was at fault for letting dad drive alone.

1 minute ago, cyclops2 said:

A couple of grand for forcing the small boat guys to jump into the water at those temperatures would be nice. More than a couple grand for suffering.

Son was at fault for letting dad drive alone.

Problem here is and been through it before is somebody has to get hurt to get big money.  Property will be covered for sure.  Beyond that will be how much mental anguish is worth.

The video alone will get them a larger settlement.

If you can't see from the helm you should never leave the dock. Negligence. 

Small boat was at fault for docking in the path of a old guy in a bigger boat.  Defense lawyer.

3 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Small boat was at fault for docking in the path of a old guy in a bigger boat.  Defense lawyer.

Yep, that's the way our society works now days.  Sad but true.

Reminds me of a serious version of the Rodney Dangerfield yacht driving scene from Caddyshack.

Scary yes,. 400 grand will be hard to get with no one hurt. He may get what the guy has as liability, but will have to split with lawyer. My guess is the insurance company may offer a 1/4 of that, more if the boat is used for business. 

5 minutes ago, mpm330 said:

Scary yes,. 400 grand will be hard to get with no one hurt. He may get what the guy has as liability, but will have to split with lawyer. My guess is the insurance company may offer a 1/4 of that, more if the boat is used for business. 

yup my thoughts  100/300 liability.  No one was hurt, sorry to say but that's usually reality when suing. 

I think they will get the max amount the insurance has.  Those people would be dead if they didn't jump. When I saw the video I kept going over in my head on when I would have jumped.  Knowing me I probably would have waited to long.  Would have been criminal negligent homicide if someone died.  Very scary. 

I would think the cruiser has some pretty good hull rash too.  Maybe some out drive damage?

... find one one more and some opportunistic lawyer might be able to make a class action lawsuit out of it ... :)