Sign in to follow this  
Iggy

Boat accident

A Chap Sig 260 based at a marina near me hit something pretty good this summer.  

They wouldnt say what they hit, damage to the front and one side.  I got to see the hull construction details!  Amazed it didnt sink.   Damage above waterline.

A good challenge for the flex tape guy.

2018-01-22 11.34.38.jpg

2018-01-22 11.40.32.jpg

Having no experience with insurance claims on boats, is it safe to say that Sig would be a total loss?

11 hours ago, TNBrett said:

Having no experience with insurance claims on boats, is it safe to say that Sig would be a total loss?

Looks to be an older boat, that kind of damage, that would be my assumption.

From the looks of it they hit something sticking out of the water.

At the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Erie, there are a series of buoy cans marking the channel towards the Peace Bridge. They are not lit but have reflective material. Even with a search lite blazing away at night, they are extremely hard to find. Its so bad, I finally put a "way point" on my GPS. 

One night while "returning to base," I couldn't find it even with the GPS. The next day, I went out looking for it and it was clear that somebody not only hit it, but had torn it in half. Sometime later, I "stumbled"  on the other half which was in front of the water intake about a 1/2 mile up river. I notified the CG which informed the Canadian CG and it was eventually replaced. I think newer cans are out there with more reflective material which helps.

I would have liked to see the boat that hit it.