Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sburke91

Grill Recommendations?

14 posts in this topic

I got a Defender gift certificate for my birthday, so figured it's a good time to start grill shopping.  I was originally looking at one of the Magna kettle grills, but after doing some research, I'm leaning toward the Kuuma 160, given the size of our boat and length of our boating season.  It gets good reviews, looks pretty well made, and is a bit less deer than the Magna.

The one concern I have is in the mounting options, as they appear to be less flexible than Magna's offerings.  Anyone have any good recommendations in this space?  I'm likely going to have to put a rod holder into the boat for the grill as I don't have any rails on the rear to leverage, and I don't want to put a pedestal mount on the swim platform.  The 'hide the pedestal mount under the swim ladder hatch' option is viable on my boat, but the fuel filler's on that side, and I'd rather not have the grill quite that close to the fuel filler.

I'm all freshwater, if that has any impact.

Remind us which model of boat you have. Maybe someone with the same boat has a viable suggestion. 

We have the magma cabo grill. It’s propane.  We installed two gunnel mount rod holders and got the rod holder handle. Great little grill and got it on a West Marine flash sale for around 100 deer. I even use it at home sometime and plan to use it Camping. I use it on the non fuel fill side. It got used a good bit during the season last year. 

4 hours ago, Chap243 said:

Remind us which model of boat you have. Maybe someone with the same boat has a viable suggestion. 

225 SSI.  There aren't too many of them out there, from what I've seen.  

I went with the Magma Kettle Grill because my wife purchased it for me for my birthday.  Here is the mounting location that I choose:

y4m_8FES5BqClIfTzpWqGY5343XbdGMHd943w9yG

There is a flat step/seat in this location, and it is rarely used.  This is of course on the port side of the boat, and the fuel filler is on the starboard side (safety first).  I choose a rod mount that allows me to swing the grill out over the water:

y4mT9Gyx4SAG1At_jNzNbSFl3V9mqCFAimzVGUOR

The grill is out of the way when we are cooking, eating, and I feel safer having it "outside" of the boat, rather than inside.  It also swings out far enough that it does not interrupt the swim deck area.

1 hour ago, sburke91 said:

Could you shoot me the part number for the rod mount you put into the boat?  I LOVE the size of that one.

This is the exact mount that I used, but I do not know if is compatible with other grills (mine is a Magma Kettle):

http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Products/Gas_Barbeque_2/A10-005/Gas005_Mounting/Gas005_126/gas005_126.html

I can't remember if I ordered this on Amazon, walmart.com, or iboats.  However, I didn't pay more than $40.  It was a pricey mount, but it was exactly what I wanted.

Mount  it on the swim platform. use flush mount floor receptacle, but put that in the compartment where the swim ladder stows.

Add a pole to the grill and you have the best set up.

gallery_23762_928_265696.jpg

7 hours ago, Slapshot said:

I went with the Magma Kettle Grill because my wife purchased it for me for my birthday.  Here is the mounting location that I choose:

There is a flat step/seat in this location, and it is rarely used.  This is of course on the port side of the boat, and the fuel filler is on the starboard side (safety first).  I choose a rod mount that allows me to swing the grill out over the water:

The grill is out of the way when we are cooking, eating, and I feel safer having it "outside" of the boat, rather than inside.  It also swings out far enough that it does not interrupt the swim deck area.

This... pretty much the same idea I had. 

16 hours ago, Slapshot said:

Very nice idea. My family wants a grill and I will consider your setup.

18 hours ago, Rip5 said:

Mount  it on the swim platform. use flush mount floor receptacle, but put that in the compartment where the swim ladder stows.

Add a pole to the grill and you have the best set up.

I looked at that approach, but my swim ladder is on the same side as the fuel filler, and I don't want the grill near that.  The pillar setup is my favorite, but I don't want something sticking up on the swim platform, so the rod holder mount looks like it's my best bet.

I'm probably going to end up going with the Magna kettle, even though it's more pricy, because of the mounting options.  Kuuma's pretty limited in that space, and I don't have the time (wish i did) to fabricate a custom mount.

Another idea if you have a rod holders installed, or need one and are not afraid to drill a large hole in the fiberglass ...

large.5a6ab26b3e349_BBQinRODHOLDER.JPG.7

Richard--did you install the rod holder, or was it already there?  If you installed it, what do you have behind the bolts for support?

The holders were, sort of installed, already when I got the boat. They were wobbly after apparent attempt to install them first slanted in the wrong direction. I had to take them out and repair the fiberglass as the big hole met screw holes after the installer realized the mistake and made adjustments (bigger and more holes) to fit the holders the correct way.

The fiberglass there is thick and three large diameter screws are sufficient unless you plan to fish for a really big fish. No bolts and backing washers are needed. I used liberally 3M 4000 or 4200 to enhance the hold and seal all around the holder faceplate.

Just make sure you find a really flat or nearly flat place to mount the holder, and use plenty of 3M sealant under the holder's faceplate to make it stable. Then the three large screws in right size holes will be more than enough to hold it fast.

Hope this helps ...