Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wingnut

Baltimore Boat Show

2 posts in this topic

Anyone else doing the Baltimore Boat Show tomorrow? I see the new Chap dealer from Galena, Maryland, Jim's Marine is going to be there.

Hello Boys,
        Did the boat show deal, and learned a few things. Chap was well represented, and actually had two dealer options. The star of the show for me was the Formula 350 CBR/FX fitted with triple 350 HP Outboards. Merc is claiming a greater market share as Yamaha is not able to produce enough engines for the new boat market. It's getting better, but dealers are still forced to use Merc props on their Yammy engines, and they can't buy a Yamaha loose. The Formula is absolutely beautiful and the gelcoat and graphics are show car smooth.  At close to 400 grand it better be.

I looked at Regulator and was not impressed. Whaler too fell short as they looked great from a distance, but seem to have suffered from the same fate as Bayliner and Sea Ray as looking down the side of the thing looks like a bad body repair job. Little wonder why Sea Ray is for sale.

For me, a pleasant surprise was the Southport offering. Twin 300's standard, joystick, huge head, and the best rough water hull I saw there based on what I know. It's a Hall design carried over from their boats, and the lay-down is dead flat and solid. Anchor windless, great free-board, dry ride, and enough high end upholstery to make her comfortable without being impossible to maintain. They were a South Carolina company who has moved to Maine, and are not cheap but really caught our eye. Tidewater offering was not bad either and Jim's Marine from Galena has a few 29's to look at so I may shop a little. Keywest, Robalo, California Skiff, Scout, Grady White, Hurricane, and a host of others need not apply. The Cris Craft center console was solid, but like the Cobalts, pretty ugly boats IMHO.

It was a good show if you are looking for a center console cross over with nice appointments, and solid utility as there were 200 like offerings, and very few I/O cabin models on display. I still think my Chaparral will find it's way to Florida and live on a hydro-hoist until we discover what boating is like on Charlotte Harbor and the Gulf. I won't get as much for my ride there, but won't pay as much for her replacement either. Time and money to be saved by getting a Mercury too, and the guys that have them love them, but it's hard hot to recognize how popular the Yamaha have become. The new e-tec Evinrude was only offered by one vendor there.  The plus there is initial cost, fuel economy, and they offer colors, and the Yamaha comes gray only. The builders using them have the engines shipped to a 3rd party for custom painting for an extra 5 grand each. For 10 grand, I'll break out the Emron.    Not a huge show and if you are looking for something with a cabin, or over 30', pick a different show.  W