Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Futzin'

220 SSi, Subwoofer placement options

123 posts in this topic

On my first 220SSi (MY 2002) I installed a Clarion 10 inch IB marine sub, mounted in the rear  L seat, facing to starboard. It was OK, but lacked thump, which may have been the fault of the sub (this was 16 years ago)  The table would no longer fit in the seat for storage, and everyone kicked the grill cover, which broke. So when I got the 2005, I went Bazooka, in the console. I ordered a 10 inch Bazooka first, not realizing the console door is only 8.75 inches wide...

The Bazooka is not perfect, but it really does a surprisingly good job. If you go Bazooka, get the non-powered, and a separate  amp to drive it.

brick

The Clarion marine woofer is not a true IB woofer. Its T/S parameters make less than ideal for an IB application as well as it lacks the internal suspension to effectively run as an IB. this greatly effects its power handling, which directly impacts its output. Next, are we getting some wall flex. This rods the woofer of its energy. Lastly, tuning. A sealed enclosure setup leaves lots of wiggle room tuning wise, but not an IB setup.   

Thanks guys.

Still wondering what the dimensions of the starboard locker door are . . .

12 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

Thanks guys.

Still wondering what the dimensions of the starboard locker door are . . .

Sorry, I posted the dimensions of the port console door. Starboard side is a bit wider. Boat is covered, I will have to go inwrap it. Will measure tomorrow. 

brick

13 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

"complete front to rear isolation"

I don't know what that means.

If the console is not sealed, there is no “front to rear” isolation. 

brick

Thanks brick, don't go to any trouble.  Not a front burner issue yet.  Can't settle on a location or a product.  Have the juice to run anything passive, wherever . . . 

12 hours ago, Futzin' said:

"complete front to rear isolation"

I don't know what that means.

You need to have the front of the woofer completely isolated from the back of the woofer. So dont mount the woofer to a false wall that open at the top or side, etc. The back if the woofer needs to be in a true locker or cavity. 

This has nothing to do with the cavity being or not being "sealed". We dont need a "sealed cavity for an IB woofer. We just need to contain the output off the rear of the cone, long enough that it does not blend in to the front output. 

I'm leaning toward one or two bass tubes, not sure location(s) yet.  Simple, lower cost and low risk.  Considering starboard console and/or port console, though we use these extensively.  Could maybe put a large one in engine compartment.  Would love to utilize the bow lockers, as we prolly use these the least.  Maybe I could risk a IB sub up front. 

I don't suppose there's enough depth in a cockpit sidewall for an IB there?

I'll chime in as I did a full system swap last year in my 220.  I took the easy way out and went with the 8" marine bazooka and placed it in the port console.  I would say that it met my relatively modest expectations about half way.  It just doesn't have enough bass.  It sounds decent at low volume but when you want to feel the music, it just can't quite get there.  

What might you do differently if you did it over again?

Appreciate the input.  Extremely helpful to hear what does/does not work in a specific model.

Does the copilots chair move forward/backward? If so, whats width and height if the flat portion? 

How flat is the wall under the glove box? Whats on the backside of that wall? 

Chairs only swivel.  In front of the cockpit chairs are the consoles.  Both have doors that open to the center walkway.  The facing walls have a lot of curvature.

1 hour ago, Futzin' said:

What might you do differently if you did it over again?

Appreciate the input.  Extremely helpful to hear what does/does not work in a specific model.

If I had to do it again, I would at a minimum use a nonpowered Bazooka and buy a monoblock to power it.  My port console has a flyswatter in it and that's it so is the one spot that is basically free of any clutter.  It'd have been better to fit a 10" in there but the opening is just way too small.  I suppose you could remove the back rest bow cushion and access it that way with a larger sub.  

4 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

If I had to do it again, I would at a minimum use a nonpowered Bazooka and buy a monoblock to power it.  My port console has a flyswatter in it and that's it so is the one spot that is basically free of any clutter.  It'd have been better to fit a 10" in there but the opening is just way too small.  I suppose you could remove the back rest bow cushion and access it that way with a larger sub.  

The non-powered Bazooka sounds significantly better than the powered version.  I use a 300 watt mono amp to drive it.

brick

4 hours ago, Futzin' said:

Chairs only swivel.  In front of the cockpit chairs are the consoles.  Both have doors that open to the center walkway.  The facing walls have a lot of curvature.

The console in front of the seat is very curved, and not at all rigid. It’s a no-go for sub placement.

brick

From on-line pics, the wall section behind the copilots seat looks promising, but the seat back seems to be right against the wall. Would likely contact the woofer, even without a grill. 

This self powered bazookas are very basic. Very little flexibility to tune. The important settings are fixed, determined by the engineer. 

14 minutes ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

From on-line pics, the wall section behind the copilots seat looks promising, but the seat back seems to be right against the wall. Would likely contact the woofer, even without a grill. 

This self powered bazookas are very basic. Very little flexibility to tune. The important settings are fixed, determined by the engineer. 

The rear seat base area behind the co-pilot seat has a curve to it. No flat area for a sub. The 220 is a hard boat for a sub location...

brick

Sorry, but suggestions based on online pics is all I got right now. I did a 2010 210 where we placed a 300W 10" woofer in custom enclosure in the port mid-ship locker. Good bass with door closed for moderate listening levels, then open the door kinda took the leash off for more output. 

1 minute ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

Sorry, but suggestions based on online pics is all I got right now. I did a 2010 210 where we placed a 300W 10" woofer in custom enclosure in the port mid-ship locker. Good bass with door closed for moderate listening levels, then open the door kinda took the leash off for more output. 

could maybe do that in starboard locker...

13 hours ago, Futzin' said:

could maybe do that in starboard locker...

Are you going to be in the Atlanta area anytime?

brick

14 hours ago, brick said:

The rear seat base area behind the co-pilot seat has a curve to it. No flat area for a sub. The 220 is a hard boat for a sub location...

brick

Is “some curve” to it all preventing? It seems to me a foam gasket of some kind could help keep things snug between the woofer and the surface and between the grill and the surface. Maybe not picturing it well in my mind when I think that. Just seems like there aren’t many flat spots on boats to begin with but subs all over the place. 

Great thread btw you all!!

I think the curve is too much. Would require some fiberglass fabricating skills.

brick